Ironbug ERV readEPResult issues

Hi,

I’ve been putting together a simple energy simulation using Ironbug for the first time. It’s currently one zone, but will be multiple zones in the future - each zone will have an individual ERV, as well as a FCU connected to CHW and HHW loops. When I connect the ERV zone equipment into my thermal zone, I get the following error in the HB readEPResult component:
“1. Failed to parse the result file. Check the folder of the file address you are plugging into this component and make sure that there is a .csv file in the folder.
If there is a file with no data in it (it is 0 kB), your simulation probably did not run correctly.
In this case, check the report out of the Run Simulation component to see what severe or fatal errors happened in the simulation.
If the csv file is there and it seems like there is data in it (it is not 0 kB), you are probably requesting an output that this component does not yet handle well.
If you report this bug of reading the output on the GH forums, we should be able to fix this component to accept the output soon.”

The csv file exists and has data in it. Is there an issue with the way I’m setting up the ERV, or a workaround for the data processing issue? I’ve tried it with and without more detailed inputs for the ERV.

Thanks!
Katie20190910 Parametric Energy Model Script_Simplified for Forum.gh (761.7 KB)

Hi @kerowe
I did a test with your system, it has nothing wrong with it in terms of running the simulation.

So the problem is from the ReadEPResults component. I wrote a test component to read the csv file, and it proves the csv is fine. I think it has something to do with the ReadEPResults component. Not sure if @chris can provide some insights about this.

But generally speaking in a multizone energy model with systems, you won’t be able to get zone level cooling and heating energy, because plantloops provides heating and cooling via water, it is not easy to quickly identify how much goes to each zone.

If you need the total energy and peak load, I have a workflow to extract those data from html file:
Please download from here:
20190913_ReadHTMLResults.gh (588.4 KB)

Thanks,
Mingbo

@kerowe ,

Thanks for answering this one @MingboPeng . I should admit that, by trying to make the general-purpose Read EP Result component bring in useful heating/cooling results for all of the built in HVAC templates, we admittedly made it possible to fail for custom types of HVAC .

So, in a case like this where the custom HVAC breaks the general-purpose EP Result Reader, you can always use the Read EP Custom Result component along with the name of the EnergyPlus output that you want to bring in like so:

20190913_ReadCustomResults.gh (590.1 KB)

This should allow you to get all of the hourly results from your simulation if you need them (something I know is usually not in the HTML results).

Thank you both for your help!