Issue with the IDF file generated with more than 25 operable windows

Hi
I have been working on a custom code which takes the IDF file generated by Honeybee and edits few objects from classes using EPPY library of Python. The code worked just fine for the models with operable windows less than 25 but started throwing following attached error once windows count crossed above 25.

To my understanding, the EMS system is being generated for each window but while calling the programs from the “ENERGYMANAGEMENTSYSTEM:PROGRAMCALLINGMANAGER”, the fields are going beyond the 25 fields available. This is the issue which is disabling us to edit the idf file accordingly.

Is the bug from Openstudio or Honeybee?

if you have the pre and post eppy *.idf’s and the eppy script in an ipynb or something of the sort; I can take a look.
I think it may be explicitly an eppy issue tbh.

are you able to manually edit the idf file, to then compare to what was generated by the eppy script to see if that aide in diagnostic?

also: GitHub - openergy/opyplus: A package to work with EnergyPlus in python is imo more user friendly and intuitive for non-HVAC-explicit *.idf editing imo.

also… are you missing a semi-colon anywhere in the idf file? this and Atom IDE is pretty legit for editing *.idf’s .

But yeah:
when I’m in the position you are in; manually editing the eppy output IDF untill its clean as to ID where the issue is is what I would do.

1 Like

Hi @TrevorFedyna

Thanks for sharing the info on the amazing new resources :slight_smile:.

I have attached the IDF that was throwing the error when I tried to open and read through EPPY.
I dont think issue is from the EPPY as even IDF editor couldn’t open the file.

in.idf (1.1 MB)

I had to write a simple string manipulation code by opening IDF as simple text file in Python and then the IDF worked with both EPPY and IDF editor.
programCallingDivider.py (2.1 KB)

1 Like