Joulea is a startup building a software platform that reduces energy costs and consumption in commercial buildings. Today, energy use in commercial buildings within the United States represents 33% of their operating budgets and almost 40% of the entire United States’ carbon emissions. We use the aerospace industry’s product lifecycle management principles in order to create a novel approach to apply them to commercial real estate. Joulea implements holistic, integrated optimization methods that redefine energy efficiency and reduce operating costs within commercial buildings. We are an ATDC portfolio company backed by wemarathon with offices at ATDC in Midtown Atlanta.
We are looking to add a Building Science Engineer with experience in building energy modeling, building envelope assessment, and HVAC systems. You will work closely with the Founder, aerospace engineering masters and PhDs, MBAs, and other postgraduate-level subject matter and industry experts. You will play a key role in shaping our technology platform from the ground up. This is an excellent opportunity to challenge yourself and work with a team dedicated to reducing the carbon footprint within the United States, and eventually, the world!
- Create energy and daylighting models to then recommend energy efficiency measures to maximize building performance
- Evaluate building envelope via architectural plans, RGB, Lidar, and IR imagery, and energy models to make recommendations to optimize thermal performance
- Execute and coordinate Measurement & Verification (M&V) activities
- Use subject matter expertise to implement machine learning concepts on a wide range of systems, processes, and technologies within the product
- Be actively involved in strategic direction and product decisions
- Collaborate with Machine Learning and UAS group to optimize data collection and processing
- Self-starter that is comfortable working in ambiguous environments
- Creative and innovative mindset, with a willingness to implement new techniques
- Excellent communicator and collaborator with a strong focus on disciplined execution and results
- Strong organizational and management skills
- Solid attention to detail and problem-solving skills
Bachelor’s Degree MS or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Architecture, or other building science-related programs with 2+ years of experience
Proficiency in Energy and Daylight Modeling software is required such as one or more of the following: EnergyPlus, eQuest, EnergyPro, Sefaira, Rhino, DIVA, and its plug-ins
Experience in designing commercial HVAC systems
Strong understanding of M&V protocols, policies, and standards
A strong technical understanding of HVAC&R systems, fault detection & diagnostics, and all MEP systems
Fundamental knowledge of building physics and the metrics of building performance
Proficiency in AutoCAD, Revit, and/or SketchUp
A Professional Engineer (PE) license
PhD in Engineering, Architecture, or other building science-related programs
5+ years of industry experience
Certified Measurement & Verification Professional (CMVP)
Familiar with performing ASHRAE Energy Audits (preferably level III)
Experience using machine learning to perform maintenance or diagnosis on mechanical and electrical systems.
Experience in implementing mathematical optimization
Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Competitive Salary
- Equity Compensation
- Full Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Per Diem Lunch
Interested in applying? Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
International applicants are welcome if they are currently eligible to work in the US, such as with OPT EAD, CPT, or in H-1B status.