Ladybug solar exposure very slow to calc

Spring is here, so naturally it’s time to do a solar assessment of my dismal north facing garden.

I’m confident in grasshopper, but unfamiliar with ladybug, so I thought I’d start from Chris Mackey’s lux counter to start dividing the garden up. It takes 5 minutes to open, and about 1 minute to run.

When I feed in my model (attached, hosted on mcneel forum as new user here) to the same script, it took about 8 hours to calculate for a single day sunpath, and crashed shortly after. I convert the curves marking out the garden to surfaces to be tested. I import the breps for the solids and roof surfaces directly.
The area of target surface seems about the same, and the grid size is unchanged, although there is more opaque geometry than in the test model (58 opaque blocks).

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start troubleshooting this? Should I be using only 2d surfaces for the opaque, and trying to minimize their number?rough_shading.3dm (144.3 KB)

anyone?
It’s very hard to solve this one by fiddling, as each test is taking hours.

Resolved.

What I changed.

1. upgraded to ladybug 1.2 + radiance
  2. started with a huge number for mesh size. I had been assuming it was a 0-1 number based on the hydra example and putting in 0.25. Start with 1000 or more instead.