LB/HB Asynchronous Operations

I just ran into the Github repo inside of Speckle and was sort of amazed.

I think what it’s doing is sending operations out to another thread in order to not freeze up the Rhino/GH thread and prevent freezing the canvas.
Maybe someone smarter than I can check out their methodology. I’m thinking about when OpenStudio or Radiance is being called and the canvas freezes up for a minute or two.

1 Like

Hi @JimMarsh,

That’s how Pollination Grasshopper components work. You can run the studies asynchronously in the background.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I’m often working on projects that cannot be public so I haven’t looked at Pollination much.
Here is an abandoned plugin that had great reviews up to Rhino 6. Not sure if it works in 7, I may give it a try anyways.
GitHub - dcascaval/Impala: Parallel High-Performance Components for Rhino/Grasshopper (can also be found on Food4Rhino “Impala”)

Hi @JimMarsh ,

I realize that we probably chose the wrong URL for Pollination since a significant fraction of the people using Pollination right now are using it for local simulation and not cloud computing as the pollination.cloud URL suggests. But all of the simulations you run with the Pollination Grasshopper components can be run locally without anything going off to a server. And, for those people that are using cloud computing, a big fraction of them have paid subscriptions so they’re running their studies under private projects that can’t be seen by others.

So the question of whether a project is public or not shouldn’t have any bearing on whether the components are relevant.

I’d recommend checking it out because you can run your local simulations asynchronously with the components as @mostapha said. Plus, the pollination Grasshopper components are free.

Ok, that was not my understanding. So yes, it seems like a good option for me. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

1 Like