LB Incident Radiation - Results vs Total

LB Incident Radiation (1.5.0) component has two similar looking outputs with tooltips that read as follows.

results : A list of numbers that aligns with the points. Each number indicates the cumulative incident radiation received by each of the points from the sky matrix in kWh/m2.

total : A number for the total incident solar radiation falling on all input geometry in kWh. Note that, unlike the radiation results above, which are normalized by area, these values are not area-normalized and so the input geometry must be represented correctly in the Rhino model’s unit system in order for this output to be meaningful.

My model units are feet but I have made my analysis grid size 3.28083 (one meter). Shouldn’t these results be the same? Or does the results output include small tessellations (near corners and such) that might be smaller than a square meter and therefore swing the total artificially upwards? Did I just answer my own question? If so I think both tooltips need some streamlining like below.

results : A list of numbers indicating the cumulative incident radiation received at each grid point expressed in kWh/m2. Note that some grid points can be spaced closely at edges of geometry and therefore totaling these can exceed the actual total.

total : A number for the total incident solar radiation falling on all input geometry in kWh.

That is correct and yes you did!

You can see that the current descriptions of the outputs are trying to explain this distinction but I don’t have particularly strong feelings if you think that your updated descriptions are clearer. If you send a Pull Request with your updated descriptions to the ladybug-grasshopper repo using the LB Export UserObject component, I will merge it.

1 Like