LBT 1.4- Split floor to thermal zones

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a ‘split floor to thermal zones’ component in the new version (LBT 1.4) as there is in the Legacy version.

I have one zone, and I want to divide it with air walls through this component.
Regards,
Berrak

Check the BuildingFootprint component in Dragonfly.
-A.

@AbrahamYezioro 's suggestion is a good one. The Dragonfly workflows are designed to do this automatic core/perimeter zoning given building geometry in various different formats. See this tutorial series to understand the dragonfly workflows:

If you’re just trying to set up a honeybee model, you could also use this HB Straight Skeleton component to help process your starting geometry.

This one escape from my sight …
Thanks @chris,
-A.

1 Like

Hi again @chris and @AbrahamYezioro

I have tried using the HB Stright Skeleton component. However, it has not elevated the divided walls, it just divided the geometry on the ground surface. I want to create this kind of division with air walls:

Could you please have a look at my simplified GH file?
Regards,
Berrak
Forum question.gh (28.7 KB)

Hi,
See yellow group in the attached file.
The HB_StrightSkeleton gives you 2D surfaces and not Rooms.

-A.
Forum question_AY.gh (57.7 KB)

2 Likes

Hi @AbrahamYezioro

That was so helpful. Thank you so much.

Is there a way to define air walls with their thermal properties? Currently, I have been trying to compare the energy results of a simple box with the same geometry divided by the air walls. However, the energy results are not close to each other:

So, I was wondering if I could define the air walls by custom.

You can check the properties of the air walls. By definition air walls don’t have any other property beyond being a layer of air (like to be used on open spaces).
If you want to define your properties you probably want to use internal walls.
-A.

1 Like

Also I wouldn’t say the results are too different. The combined zone will have perfect air mixing, whereas the split zones will bring in some variability.

I’m still getting to grips with E+, but this might be a situation where adding an air flow network is beneficial and may also impact the results.

1 Like

I appreciate your replies @AbrahamYezioro and @charlie.brooker

I defined internal walls as air walls by assigning the HB-InteriorConstructionSubset of the interior wall as ‘typical air wall’. And HB-InteriorModifierSubset of the interior wall as ‘air_boundary’. In the HB-VisualiseByType component, they are assigned as air walls. But, the heating and cooling loads have still not changed, still not getting close to the one with a single zone (without air wall division).

I encountered a link on how to add air wall construction, which says by grouping the zones. @chris could I ask for your help what did you mean here by grouping the zones? I think I have already done that with the help of @AbrahamYezioro

Hi @berrakbalci ,

I agree with Charlie here that the results are not very different but, if you want to gain a deeper understanding of what is going on in your model, then you should construct a load balance using the HB Annual Loads component. This could tell you whether you have accidentally changed something that you didn’t mean to change when you split up the Room with air boundaries.

That GitHub issue is referring to E+ specific terminology. In the last few years, EnergyPlus added the ability to have radiant heat exchange across air boundaries, which is much closer to how you would expect air boundaries to work. So that is what is meant by “grouping zones”.

1 Like