LEED EQ Credit: Views

I suggest here conversation about best practice for LEED Views Credit with current both schemes that are active. I even suggest we use our “template gbXML” together with GH/Dynamo scripts linked in Hydra-share to show best practices and documentation. I guess we just always need to refer to LEED version, GH or Dynamo approach or direct cloud simulation. I place all documentation for this credit below.

LEED 2009 (ver 3) PDF active till 30/06/2021
IEQc: 8.2 Daylight and Views – Views
Achieve a direct line of sight to the outdoor environment via vision glazing between 30 inches and 90 inches (between 0.8 meters and 2.3 meters) above the finish floor for building occupants in 90% of all regularly occupied areas. Determine the area with direct line of sight by totaling the regularly occupied floor area that meets the following criteria:
 In plan view, the area is within sight lines drawn from perimeter vision glazing.
 In section view, a direct sight line can be drawn from the area to perimeter vision glazing.
The line of sight may be drawn through interior glazing. For private offices, the entirefloor area of the office may be counted if 75% or more of the area has a direct line of sight to perimeter vision glazing. For multioccupant spaces, the actual floor area with a direct line of sight to perimeter vision glazing is counted.
The core and shell design must incorporate a feasible tenant layout(s) per the default occupancy counts (or some other justifiable occupancy count) that can be used in the analysis of this credit.

LEED 2013 (ver 4) PDF
NC, CS, SCHOOLS, RETAIL, DATA CENTERS, HOSPITALITY
Achieve a direct line of sight to the outdoors via vision glazing for 75% of all regularly occupied floor area.
View glazing in the contributing area must provide a clear image of the exterior, not obstructed by frits,
fibers, patterned glazing, or added tints that distort color balance.
Additionally, 75% of all regularly occupied floor area must have at least two of the following four kinds of
views:
 multiple lines of sight to vision glazing in different directions at least 90 degrees apart;
 views that include at least two of the following: (1) flora, fauna, or sky; (2) movement; and (3)
objects at least 25 feet (7.5 meters) from the exterior of the glazing;
 unobstructed views located within the distance of three times the head height of the vision
glazing; and
 views with a view factor of 3 or greater, as defined in “Windows and Offices; A Study of Office
Worker Performance and the Indoor Environment.”
Include in the calculations any permanent interior obstructions. Movable furniture and partitions may be
excluded.
Views into interior atria may be used to meet up to 30% of the required area.

I found currently GH Script - Link Here
@chris @AntoineDao

@MichalDengusiak ,
I put that file up there and you can see that it shows how to do a lot of the things that are needed for the LEED credits in both versions. I also want to add that this example file is supposed to accompany an ondemand tutorial series that walks you through the different parts of the script and explains what is going on:
https://www.ladybug.tools/video-tutorial.html#HumanFacades

The video series isn’t free to the public at the moment (it is only free to our supporters and patrons) but we are hoping in the future that we make a lot of these videos free if we can get enough patrons and institutional partners.

I should also add that all of the components for view studies are only available in the legacy version right now (not the [+] plugins). So you won’t be able to run these studies in Dynamo right now and you will have to send your geometry over to Grasshopper if you want to use these automated workflows. I am hoping to add view studies to the [+] libraries sometime within the next 6 months. The ray tracing for these studies will be done in Radiance and I have discussed some possible ways that we can do this with @sarith . So keep an eye on the Honeybee Core GitHub if you are interested in working with these capabilities when they are up.

1 Like