Limitation of radiance in Adaptive Thermal Comfort Map?

Hi @chris

I’m trying to generate Adaptive thermal comfort maps in a house with a living room adjacent to a conservatory.
A thermal curtain is specified indoors, against the interior window.
It is used only during winter nights and we’ve been using a dynamic window construction with the equivalent Uvalue for usual thermal simulations.

However, the Adaptive Thermal Comfort Map returns the following error:

image (8)

Which seems to point to the fact that Dynamic interior apertures are blocking points for both the Longwave MRT and Shortwave MRT.

Did you ever come across this issue?
Do you see a way around it?
Could we run the view factor separately using HB radiance with the HB Dynamic states and reconstruct an annual view factor file ?

Thanks,
Olivier

1 Like

Hey @OlivierDambron ,

You always take things to the limit :slight_smile: !

This is a discussion that should also involve @mikkel since he’s the master of the Radiance methods that are raising the NotImplementedError. We’ve had discussions about when and how to support dynamic interior apertures in our Radiance simulations but, as far as I know, you are the first who has tried to actually run such a case. Or you’re at least the first to report a case about it to us on this forum.

Supporting dynamic interior apertures is a lot of work for us and it may be hard to justify our time on this if you are the only person asking us for it now.

This might be even more work depending on the error that EnergyPlus is throwing there. I can’t remember but it’s possible that E+ does not support dynamic interior apertures either. I feel like, when I modeled things like double-skin facades in the past, I always had to assign the dynamic shades to the exterior apertures. What error do you get when you simulate your model with the HB Model to OSM component?

If we’re able to get a successful E+ simulation with your blinds there, then I can probably help you find some workaround to make an adaptive comfort map, albeit without all of the fancy reflections of shortwave solar that Radiance can do.

2 Likes

Hi @OlivierDambron and @chris,

We can remove the limitation in the writer in honeybee-radiance to avoid the NotImplementedError. I know that this will not work with any recipe depending on two-phase-daylight-coefficient, which is only annual-daylight-enhanced in the LBT plug-in, but we could add a handler for the model input to check for interior aperture groups. It should not affect any of the other HB Radiance recipes.

I am not sure if it will work for the HB Energy recipes, @chris.