Live Weather Data 1

Hello All.
As a beginner, I’m struggling to create a live data stream for weather data on LadyBug.

For a couple of days, there has been no update/change in the data.
Can anybody help?
Thanks in advance,
Regards
Jason

The weather data you’re using does not get updated in real time. The data file is created by stitching the average of recorded data for a number of years.

Thanks for the feedback Devang - a major error on my part then.
Can you recommend a site offering live data?
I came across these guys: https://openweathermap.org/ - a promising prospect for live information?
Kind regards,
Jason

Can you share what are you trying to accomplish with live data? And which climate variables are you looking for?

Hello there Devang.
My aims are a little fluid at the moment.
I’m working towards a creative informatics project which seeks to use generative design to capture real-time smart city data (weather, waste stream data, traffic flows etc) and convert into physical objects - enclosed in a case study which I hope illustrates the essence [note: this example doesn’t use live data]:

To answer your specific question, I’m looking for wind speed, temperature, wind direction and rain/precipitation.
Does this help?
Your insights are most appreciated.
Kind regards,
Jason

You’ll need to create your own workflow for that.
HB/LB use EPW weather files, which, as @devang mentioned, are based on recorded data.
You can create your own, or better, edit existing EPWs, using interfaces like Elements (look for it in Bigladder). So i assume you’ll need to pick the live data and then edit the epw for updating.
You can search in the forum for editing epw or similar keys.
-A.

Thank you for the feedback AbrahamYezioro.
[Just when I thought I had 99% cracked the live data thing…]
Anyway, I’ve just downloaded Elements and I’m reading up on it now.
Great stuff.
Regards,
Jason

Dear Forum.
As a non-coder, I’m keen to discover any step-by-step support that might be available for editing/converting live weather data into an epw file via Elements.
As an alternative, perhaps someone has gone through a similar process and can share their material/files.
Yours hopefully,
Jason

Let’s say you have a live weather data. What do you want to do with HB/LB?
Maybe you can do what you want to do without?
Is not clear to me …
-A.

Hello there Abraham.
Ultimately, As an industrial designer, I want to develop a creative design tool that is able to capture weather conditions (and other real-time metrics) at one point in time that can be translated into a tangible object/product using a generative 3d-modelling design formula.
Why use live data? Because it’s instantaneous, unpredictable, unique and can be used to ‘seed’ the creative process. As further context, data is traditionally used for analytics and reporting retrospectively after an incident, project or piece of research. I want to use data as a creative catalyst to inspire and inform tangible 3d objects. This approach (I hope) will help embed more meaning and personality within an object.
I could possibly pick other live data input other than weather data, but the weather seems like a good starting point.
It’s a little similar to: https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/17/bjork-and-microsoft-ai-sky-music/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADUalTSDwi-w7PUzfXjGj7Em6tIpwbqbw2_DkW07fz4GYJwkZ8QblgDV2WHxbNXph-Qp-TkSU8He6KQW4nO2ujgPd21fXHb_Y8bZmi0BtUJ8GXkBQLGTrRQQCFXZ-CkwP7RyAUAYWe_NiOZ8pEtKPAIuWITAm36XSWnBlXxND1f2
I hope this makes sense. It’s exploratory and no doubt my approach will shift as I develop my ideas.
Kind regards,
Jason

Makes sense and i hope you’ll succeed. Sounds very interesting.
My question though is still what do you want to do (or expect to obtain from) with Honeybee/Ladybug?
I assume you have made some mockups showing the process, including the application of these tools.
-A.

1 Like

Specifically Ladybug seems like a great tool to manage the big data sets related to the weather and potentially other metrics – this is based on basic Google and YouTube research. So you answer your question, I’d expect to use LadyBug to source, manage and translate weather and other city data sets into interesting parametric 3D-models within Grasshopper that can be ultimately 3D-printed. Grasshopper seems to be the only generative software with a non-coding interface.

As for your assumption, I feel slightly ashamed to say I don’t have a mock-up of the process. I’ll create a rudimentary wireframe today. To date, my journey has been about exploring Grasshopper and discovering its wider capacities (LadyBug and Kangaroo). I come from a solid/surface 3D modelling background re: 3DS Max and Solidworks, so there have been many unknown unknowns.

I very much appreciate your probing.

I’ll work on a flow mock-up and share (it’ll be my first)

Thank you again for your input.

Kind regards,

Jason.

Hi @Morenikeji,

For a live connections with data sensors you can better have a look at firefly (grasshopper)

For a live connection with online data you can use the attached user object.
OpenURL.ghuser (3.3 KB)
Success with your project.

Thank you Erik.
Firefly is on my radar…so will exploring this. I even have a few hardly used micro-controllers gathering dust in a box somewhere.
I’m looking forward to exploring the attachment you suggest this evening.
Cheers,
Jason

Hello there Guys.
I’ve had an opportunity to develop a first draft illustrating the steps to use selected data as input for a generative design process.

I appreciate the chart is basic and needs resolution and more clarity…but its a starting point for a prototype.
Constructive feedback and comments would be most welcome.
I’d appreciate your perspective @ AbrahamYezioro
Kind regards,
Jason.

This scheme is not clear for me … but it doesn’t mean anything. Is probably me.
For my previous remarks (about what you want to do, etc) i would recommend looking at the work of Achim Menges. Check the HygroSkin pavillion. You’ll see an object responding to real (live) conditions (humidity). From here you can project on your work. You’ll be proposing parametric solutions to same changing conditions, according to some users desires (this is what i understood from your scheme).
Hope this helps though not sure this is the proper forum …
-A.

Hi Jason - I’m also not convinced that this is the correct forum for your project.
If I get this right, you pretty much have a good idea of the general shape of the object that you will create - something like this:

If you ask me, the thing that you need to focus on now is this:

You were correct in coming to this forum to ask about the data source that Ladybug uses. And you got a good answer from @devang:

Ladybug relies on the data that is captured in so-called epw files that contain information from a weather station that spans several years. That is not the type of data that you want to use. Trying to shoehorn your data (*) into an epw file will likely be problematic.

(*) And that’s the thing - you don’t know yet what data you will be using.

So, the first task ahead is identifying the source of data. I am assuming that you need data from a very specific location and so a good start would be to contact the local meteorological institute/service/department in that area. Find out what data they have and in which format it can be obtained.

From there, it’s likely that you can use Grasshopper - either with factory-default components or with one of many plug-ins - to create a 3D object that is influenced by that data. I see, for example, that the KT Tools plug-in can be used to import weather-prediction data from NOAA’s National Digital Forecast Database.
HTH,
-wim

1 Like

Thanks for your comment Abraham. I’ll follow up with the Achim Menges an HygroSkin pavillion references.
Yes, you’ve picked up the gist of the concept I’m trying to develop.,and your comments are helpful - thanks for your time.
I agree, I’ve unintentionally stretched the remit of the forum - apologies. On the positive side the responses have been great from my next steps.
Kind regards,
Jason

Hello there Wim.
Thanks for your comments and direction.
As you suggest, I’ll reach out to some local [Scottish] weather stations/universities.
The KT Tool looks outstanding - cheers!
I’m impressed with the generous sharing of your time and insights…that, of course, applies to @devang devang, Erikbeeren and @ AbrahamYezioro…thank All.
Have a great morning/day/evening where ever you all are.
Kind regards,
Jason

@AbrahamYezioro LB y si quiero reemplazar los datos epw. por un archivo excel como puedo hacerlo? y que herramienta debo usar? soy nueva usando LB y no he podido solucionar esto