Lux/hour per year meaning

Greetings!!!

There are some similar topics to this one already in main forum, however I could not find any answer to this question: ¿How to interpret the total results? for example I’m getting numbers around 29.000.000. Is this good, bad? is there any rule for it? what ranges are good for an office, a hotel or classroom?
I also was looking for papers but could not find any answer to it.

Thanks to the whole community for your attention.

Hi @andres

You should not add all the values. This component would allow you to check the hourly result for each sensor point. If this is not the value you are looking for, I recommend trying the “read Annual Results” components. They will give you standard LEED annual metrics like Daylight Autonomy (DA), Spatial Daylight Autonomy (sDA) etc. You can look up these metrics on google.

I am surprised you didn’t find any suggested values for lux in your research. Typically the hourly lux values for an office should be atleast 300 lux. The DA and sDA should be around 75%. You can find this information in a LEED document or a simple research paper.

Good Luck!

FWIW, annual lux-hours is a metric used by museum conservators to determine total light energy on artifacts instead of maximum instantaneous illuminance values. 650,000 lux-hours is considered the upper limit for moderately sensitive artwork and 150,000 lux-hours for the most sensitive artifacts.

2 Likes

Hey guys, thanks for the soon answers, I really appreciate it. @KitElsworth, these are the ranges I’m looking for, however not for museums. Is there any way in honeybee different to traditional way (DA, sDA, UDI or similar) to get Luxarea in a period of a year? I meant if I have an accumulate for a year (29.000.000 lxyear), how can I convert it into some range (300-1000 / 500-200 lx, etc.)? is it possible? thanks to all!!!

Hi @andres,
To compute the total lux-hrs, per grid point, your workflow that you including in the screen shot should be appropriate. However, i am confused to why you may want to go from lux-hrs to instantaneous lux values. Are you trying to determine how many hours are within a certain lux range? Such as, how many hours are between 300-1000 lux? This would be like a UDI analysis with a custom minimum and maximum values.
If this is still relevant, please let me know if this is what you are hoping for.

Kit

Hi @KitElsworth,
about your comment " Are you trying to determine how many hours are within a certain lux range? Such as, how many hours are between 300-1000 lux? This would be like a UDI analysis with a custom minimum and maximum values"
it’ll be very helpful in order to develop my current analisys. I’ll appreciate your thoughts.
Andres