Make one surface adiabatic in dragonfly

hi
I know in honeybee you can make a zone with each surface individually defined. so in this case, we can make one wall of the building adiabatic or different from others.
As I noticed in dragonfly all surrounding walls get the same construction. how can I edit that one of the surfaces to get different construction or make it adiabatic?

I want to use this feature to define the adjacencies of one building to the one next to it. which I think is not defined in dragonfly automatically (plz let me know if I’m wrong). As I understood, there is no difference between the wall that is adjacent to the building next door and the wall which is exposed to outside.
I’m trying to control the heat loss by making adjacent walls adiabatic because the heat loss of the walls should be different and honeybee runs buildings one by one.

Thanks
-Azin

Hi @az.sanei ,

Good question. You can use the DF BC by Orientation to set all of the walls of a Dragonfly object that are facing a given direction to adiabatic or ground. This is helpful for modeling cases where part of a building is adjacent to another building or is covered by an earth berm (which sounds like your case here).

Alternatively, we just added a component in the development version of the LBT plugin that helps you abstract Honeybee models into Dragonfly:

You can get this component with the LB Versioner if you want to try it out.

It’s important to note that this translation process from Honeybee to Dragonfly is lossy since the smallest unit that you can work with in Dragonfly is a Room2D and everything that is smaller than that is represented by simplified rules. But, as long as your Honeybee Rooms are extruded floor plates, you should be able to convert them into Dragonfly with minimal loss of information. The boundary conditions for vertical walls should all come through to Dragonfly, though constructions that you’ve assigned to individual surfaces (and not through the Room construction set) will not be transferred.

1 Like

great, DF BC by orientation solves my question right now.
Maybe a component like “DF construction by orientation” for future versions not be a bad idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @chris @az.sanei
I have a question about that discussion.as the DF model can convert to HB model for each building with its shading distance, can this help to consider the adjacencies of one building to the one next to it without any need to assign the shared wall into adiabatic?

Hey @DoaaElshishtawy ,

Since the time that this post was originally made in 2022, we have added a component called DF Process Alleyways, which does something very similar to what you are suggesting. You basically give it a distance between buildings at which point the walls should be considered adiabatic parti walls like so:

You can see it’s in the LBT 1.7.0 release notes. So, by the looks of your screenshot, you’ll have to update.

1 Like