Missing required property - "construction_name"

I received the error as such when running energy simulation. My model is very simple, just a box with four windows.

The error is this:

Current document units is in Meters
Conversion to Meters will be applied = 1.000
Current working directory is set to: c:\ladybug\CalculateUtility2\OpenStudio
Can’t find ddy file next to the EPW.
Extreme values from the weather file design will be used instead.
Duplicate surface name! Name is changed to: Walls1_Dup
Duplicate surface name! Name is changed to: Walls1_Dup_Dup
Duplicate surface name! Name is changed to: Walls1_Dup_Dup_Dup
Model saved to: c:\ladybug\CalculateUtility2\OpenStudio\CalculateUtility2.osm
OSM > IDF: c:/ladybug/CalculateUtility2/OpenStudio/CalculateUtility2/ModelToIdf/in.idf
Program Version,EnergyPlus, Version 9.0.1-bb7ca4f0da, YMD=2019.05.09 12:29,

Severe ** [BuildingSurface:Detailed][c62e7d15761143dfb662] - Missing required property ‘construction_name’.

** Fatal ** Errors occurred on processing input file. Preceding condition(s) cause termination.

…Summary of Errors that led to program termination:

… Reference severe error count=1

… Last severe error=[BuildingSurface:Detailed][c62e7d15761143dfb662] - Missing required property ‘construction_name’.

************* Warning: Node connection errors not checked - most system input has not been read (see previous warning).

************* Fatal error – final processing. Program exited before simulations began. See previous error messages.

************* EnergyPlus Warmup Error Summary. During Warmup: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.

************* EnergyPlus Sizing Error Summary. During Sizing: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.

************* EnergyPlus Terminated–Fatal Error Detected. 0 Warning; 1 Severe Errors; Elapsed Time=00hr 00min 0.18sec

I used EpConstruction from honeybee library but this error still pop up. Not sure what could be the source of the problem

I have updated all openstudio, energy plus and honeybee.190509_BugReport.3dm (101.3 KB)
190509_BugReport.gh (554.1 KB)

1 Like

hi @minhchau! did you found the solution?

Are you creating zones from surfaces? I recently faced this error and using Breps to create zones got me clear of this error. We do need to find out the root of this error.

1 Like

Hi @devang,

I do not know if it can help. I think problem is because of this Ceiling + Outdoors boundary condition:

It should be Ceiling + Adiabatic or Ceiling + Surface if you have another space above.

Regards,
Antonello

1 Like

Thanks for digging into this. I hope this is the case for @julien. This is easy to fix. In my case, I did look into .osm file and I saw that construction name was not being assigned to certain surfaces.

1 Like

Yes! First time I created zones from surfaces but it didn’t work.
Now i’m working with brep! The fact is that by using brep I can’t define if the surfaces are adiabatic, exterior or ground and I can’t also define others parameters. Do you know how to do it?

sorry for the late! I was busy!

Hi @devang @AntonelloDiNunzio
Please Can you check my code? I want to give some parameters to surfaces in order to do an energy plus analysis but It doesn’t work! Do you have a solution for that?
hvac.3dm (106.0 KB) Energy_Balance.gh (645.6 KB)

Your issue is what @AntonelloDiNunzio already explained. You have outdoor ceiling. It should be either outdoor Roof or Adiabatic ceiling. If you do either of those, your model will run fine.

Hi @julien,

I suggest you choose a correct model units of your rhino file:

I think it is “meter” in your case.
Then check well your surface type as @devang suggest you.

Please, pay attention at window coplanarity and input as well:

you can connect in this way:

About energy balance, there are many interesting discussion in forum, like this one:

Regards,
Antonello

1 Like

Grazie Mille Signore @AntonelloDiNunzio!