Natural vs mechanical ventilation

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project where I need to compare natural ventilation and mechanical ventilation, with or without heat recovery. The comparison will be based on heating costs and comfort levels in the presence of a pollutant (it could be CO2 or a pathogen, it doesn’t matter). This comparison will be made for various locations.

The setting for this project is a classroom. I am approximating the classroom as a simple box with one window. However, I also have an IDF file for the entire school. I am unsure how to extract a specific classroom from this file and simulate only that.

I am finding it quite challenging to model this scenario in Grasshopper.

I found this file Hydra natural ventilation that should be a good basis for the natural ventilation scenario but I want the windows to open and close in order to keep the CO2 level below a certain value.

My next step is to create a similar scenario, but replace the natural ventilation with an HVAC or MVHR system. The goal is to maintain the concentration of the pollutant below a certain level.

Ideally, I aim to achieve two scenarios:

1. The window opens as much as necessary to keep the pollutant concentration below the predetermined value, according to the classroom’s occupancy schedule. Following this, I will calculate the comfort levels and heating costs. I anticipate that the heating costs will be quite high during winter, for example, and this may result in a decrease in occupant comfort.
  2. The same scenario as above, but with an MVHR system handling ventilation and heating. I am unsure whether I will need an additional heating system for this scenario.

How would you approach this simulation? I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips you could provide. Although the workflow seems straightforward in my mind, I am struggling to translate it into a functional script. Thank you in advance.