Non Convex Zone Question

So I’m learning all about convex zones and how they are bad. I had an idea about how to deal with them and wondered if this makes sense. Say you have a zone shaped like this:

What I did is made a surface out of that boundary and meshed it with the jagged settings, basically simple triangulation to get this:

If you made zones out of each of those triangles, and then ran “Solve Adjacencies” on them setting adjacent surfaces to “Air Wall” construction does that whole zone essentially behave as one? Or does that cause some issues in the simulation that would give inaccurate results?

Any thoughts/explanations welcome. I don’t really have a deep knowledge of what Energy Plus likes and dislikes and why. :upside_down_face:

Thanks!

It depends really on what you’re trying to get out off the simulation. Having an air wall in honeybee means that air between the adjacent zones is well mixed.

To see how this subdivision impacts what you want to measure you should run a few tests and see the results.

I’m just looking for early high-level EUI numbers for a massing. I know I have non-convex shapes in there so I was trying to figure out ways to get the simulation to run without throwing the
"*1. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error: *

• ** Severe ** Problem in interior solar distribution calculation (CHKBKS)*" Error. I ran it both ways and the numbers aren’t identical, but are very close (off by about 4 kwh/m2). I think for my purposes it works, but for more complex analysis, it may not be a good idea.

4 kWh/m2 can be a lot depending in the total number. Not something to disregard i would say.
-A.