OpenStudio

Hi,

I’m performing thermal comfort analysis for some project…

I’ve recently installed the OpenStudio, but it doesn’t work (till now i used the EnergyPlus)!

The HB_exportToOpenStudio component complains about:

I have:

Rhino - Version 5 SR5

OpenStudio 1.13.0

EnergyPlusV8-5-0

SketchUp 2016

Any suggestions??

regards,

Saba

Mostapha, Chris,

For the HB_exportToOpenStudio component to work the service release needs to be higher that SR10?

Saba is a student of mine that so far used the HB_runEnergySimulation, working well. I’m trying to convince her to swith to the OS component … but it complains.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-A.

Saba,

Can you share the file or an example file that can recreate the error?

Mostapha

Hi Mostapha,

Saba will of course send the file (is pretty big and messy). The thing is that it runs fine in my machine. So that’s why i wonder if the release is related.

-A.

Hi Mostapha,

I attached both Rhino and Grasshopper files, as Abraham said it’s very messy!!

Thanks,

Saba

Baomail House - A1 - 01.12.16.3dm (1.51 MB)
Baomail House - A1 - 01.12.16.GH (1.52 MB)

Saba,

Can you edit the OS component, press the test button and copy/paste here the line where the component complains?

Thanks,

-A.

Current working directory is set to: C:\WorkingFolder\Bet_ bomael\A1\simulation\results-A1\OpenStudio
Runtime error (ValueErrorException): invalid literal for float():
Traceback:
line 187, in setSite, “<string>”
line 3692, in main, “<string>”
line 3894, in script

It probably has something to do with the weather file header as it happens in setSite. Let me check and report back.

That’s it. We should improve this function in the OpenStudio component. Meanwhile can you use the same weather file as Abraham?

Also can you share the weather file with us so we can debug the code? Thanks.

Hi Mostapha,

This will be weird since we are using the same file.

Anyway, just to save time (hopefully) i’m attaching the epw here.

Thanks,

-A.

ISR_Tel.Aviv-Bet.Dagan.401790_MSI.epw (1.65 MB)

Thank you for finding this bug. I had put in the “set site” function to make things more consistent with the Write E+ component but I see now that I probably should have put it in a try/except loop in case the EPW is in a non-conventional format. I’ll try to fix this soon.

-Chris

Ah, wait. Everything is running ok on my machine with your EPW, Abraham, and Saba’s GH file:

Saba, is Abraham’s EPW the one that gave you the error?

-Chris

Hi Chris,

please find the attachment of my EPW file

Thanks,

Saba

ISR_Tel.Aviv-Bet.Dagan.401790_MSI.epw (1.65 MB)

Saba,

I figured out what is happening. There is a slight difference between your epw file and Abraham’s file. Specifically, it seems that your epw might have been opened in excel (or another tabular software) and re-saved as a csv, thereby adding a few extra commas onto the end of one line:

I have fixed the OpenStudio component such that it can now handle this type of EPW and you can find attached a GH file that manages to write the IDF and OpenStudio model. However, because of some other things wrong with your EPW file, EnergyPlus throws an error about it when it tires to run the simulation. I’m sorry that I can’t completely solve your problem but at least you get the right error now and you know that something needs to be corrected in your epw now.

-Chris

BaomailHouseA101.12.16_CWM.GH (1.49 MB)

Thanks Chris,

Veryyy weird. The EPW files are supposed to be the same.

Anyway, Saba: Please download the EPW from one of the above dialogs and try it. It runs fine on my machine.

-A.

Hi,

Yesss… It runs fine now:)

Thanks a lot…

Saba

Finally,

Seems to be that the epw was indeed corrupted.

Thanks Chris for the fixing.

-A.