Orientation study question

Hi community!

I have a question regarding the orientation study. As you could see from the photos attached, I have tried with the same form in different orientations, yet the optimized results turned out to be different.
I’m not sure if there’s something to do with how the ‘north’ is defined, but I couldn’t find it under the battery explanation.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice! :grinning:

model rotation study.gh (404.7 KB)

Hello @chris
Orientation study component is not available in version 1.3?

Orientation studies are easy enough to set up with native Grasshopper components (specifically, sliders and data recorders) and you get a lot more control over them when you set them up this way. So we don’t have plans to include inputs for them in LBT.

2 Likes

You can apply a number of ‘computational components’, i.e Galapagos for evo-opt, Wallacei for MOEO, and Design Explorer for brute force opt/study.
In my personal and non-empirical experience: LBT toolage is a fantastic toolkit and interface for bio-climatic simulation etc: But using external packages/plugins for extending the LBT facilitated features is super choice for doing some fun/fancy shenanigans.

i.e: using wallacei or galapagos to minimize peak/annual loads; via the peak/annual loads components

with the orientation of the building and a variable in an ‘optimization’ study, or all available orientations via design explorer for an ‘Across the board reporting’ of the options.

just my unsolicited $0.02!

Best
@TrevorFedyna

1 Like

Thanks @chris , yes my plan was to use native grasshopper components but i though that component like that will be better.

Thanks you @TrevorFedyna , i think i will use Galapagos
I tested Wallacei and other Evolutionary Solvers before and i had some problems like crashes or black window.
Thank you for the components suggested.

Thanks @seghier @chris @TrevorFedyna for the reply and suggestions, I’ll try those plugins afterwards.

But my quesiton here is actually about the rotation axis of this orientation study.
As you can see from the screenshots that even with the same volume (which I put in different orientations), and best orientation turns out to be different for the three cases.
Do any of you understand the reason behind? Or if I made any mistake in the gh. file?

Thank you again for your help! :grinning: