Outdoor thermal comfort for an urban park

Hi,
I’m working on my thesis using ladybug to make different design scenarios for an urban park and then making environmental analysis in order to know which design is most efficient for the human comfort
I’m new to the software but I’m still learning .

I saw other related questions and the once with attached files of tree analysis but the thing is i have a lot of trees and I’m looking for an easy way to generate the trees in order to consider them in the simulation

I have a couple of questions :

1- how different is the last version of LB-HB than the older one. which one should I use ?
2- how to assign materials properties on LB -HB such as asphalt , paving and grass?
3-how to involve UWG in such a project ?
4-what is the easiest way to generate trees with their properties in order to consider them in the analysis how to involve the trees and plants in the analysis ?.

new park.gh (26.8 KB)
utci.gh (70.7 KB)

1 Like

HI @dandashiarch ,

To answer your questions:

1. The version of the comfort maps in the last stable release of LBT 1.3 was not clearly better than Legacy but that has changed in the latest development version of the LBT plugin, which you can get with the LB Versioner. We’ll be releasing LBT 1.4 within a week or so and the comfort maps there are a huge improvement over Legacy, primarily because they can model shortwave reflections and they generally do a better job modeling shortwave solar. The only major limitation of the latest LBT comfort maps is that they don’t model dynamic transmittance over time. So you should stick to modeling tree transmittance with a constant HB-Energy schedule but, as long as you can accept that limitation, your results with LBT will be a lot more accurate than Legacy.

2. The Energy properties are what dictate the outcome of the thermal mapping recipes. You can use HB-Energy vegetation materials to model grass and other HB-Energy opaque materials to model asphalt and concrete. This usually doesn’t have as large of an impact as people think. To put it another way, the impact of these materials is nothing compared to the shade of a tree.

3. See the uwg_example.gh that downloads with Food4Rhino. You can get a morphed EPW by building a Dragonfly model and running it through the UWG. Then, you can use that EPW as input for the comfort mapping recipe.

4. Model the canopies as shades and give them a transmittance schedule that aligns with the transmittance of the canopy.

3 Likes

Hi @chris

I’ve been looking for the “HB-Energy vegetation materials” you mention in point 2 of your last answer, but I haven’t found them in the toolbar nor in the search:

HB-Energy Constructions

Am I searching incorrectly? Or do these materials require another plugin? My final goal is to model grass in an urban UTCI model. I’ve tried to input the grass material as you did in your example in Hydra, but the opaque construction component does not recognise it:

The version I’m using is the latest Honeybee, with its corresponding apps:

Right now, the vegetation materials are only available in the latest development version of the plugin, which you can get with the LB Versioner.

1 Like