Parallel run for energy models in Honeybee

Hi everyone,
I’m working on calibration and gotta run energy simulation for a big number of cases. right now I’m using fly component to write and run the simulations one after another (works like a batch file). I’m looking for a way I can run the simulations simultaneously? I saw some of you have done it for Daylight simulations, but found nothing for energy plus simulation. I tried Re-Run IDF component with a list of my idf files’ paths, but it didn’t work. It seems it just works for a single idf file.(am I right?)
So here is my question, is there any way I can run these models simultaneously on a super computer?
Thanks!

Didn’t try but i believe the HB_Re-Run IDF can do that. The _idfFilePath input can get a list of idf files to simulate.
Alternatively, outside GH you can use the native EP_Lauch and from there you can batch your simulations. Afterwards you can import the results into HB.
-A.

2 Likes

Thanks Abraham! Yea I’d made a mistake in writing up the paths. Now it’s working.

Hello!
I am trying to do something similar, but in my case I want to simulate at the same time an idf with a weather file and another idf with another weather file. When running the method you suggest, HB first runs the two idf’s with one weather file and then the two idf’s with the next weather file. Any suggestion to solve this problem? I need to run the simulation of 0 with 0 and 1 with 1.

Thank you in advance.
Pascual.

What happens if you graft both of them (idf and epw)?
-A.

Hello!

I tried, but it runs first the two simulations with the first weather file and then again the two simulations with the second weather file. I thought it might work, but no.

Pascual.

Grafting is working correctly for me but you have to make sure you are paying attention to the data tree paths in the upper-right corner and making sure they are matched:

Hello, thank you very much for your suggestions.

I tried that method, but it still performs one simulation after the other. From your suggestion I got it to simulate the first idf with the first epw, the second idf with the second epw and the third with the third. But what I can’t get is that it runs all three simulations at the same time in parallel. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Oh, yea. You won’t be able to do something like this without editing the component source code. You would have to change the _epw input to have list access and then change the for loop in the component that is looping through the IDFs to loop over the EPWs at the same time

Hello! Thanks a lot for the suggestion! Perfect.

I’m not familiar with programming, so could someone give me some guidance on how to modify the code to make what Chris suggests happen? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, right now I’m starting to learn more about programming.

Thank you very much.
Pascual.

Hello!

Does anyone have any suggestions to modify the code?

Thank you very much.
Pascual.

You only have to change epw “Item Access” to “List Access” and change a couple of lines of the source code to grab the index of the EPW. I believe in you and, if you come back with a first try, I’ll help you from there.

1 Like