Perimeter offset for attached-buildings (issue)

Hello,
I was noticing that, when creating the automatic perimeter offset for buildings that are attached to each other (as in an urban block of a dense city environment), the core-perimeter rooms you get might be quite unrealistic. In fact, if one or more perimeter walls are shared with another building, the division on that side is a space with no windows, facing another space with no windows belonging to the adjacent building. I think it would be useful if the component could “detect” the building nearby and divide the space in a more realistic way accordingly (in two for instance, as in the example picture case).
Do you think would be an interesting function to have or is there already a workaround to reach that result?

Best,
Matteo

Perimeter_offset_attached_buildings_case.gh (86.8 KB)

Thank @Matteo ,

I agree that something like that could be useful but it seems really challenging to make it reliable for a wide range of geometries like what Dragonfly is built to handle since there’s no guarantee there’s a straight skeleton for a broken-up polygon like that.

It’s also not like the extra Rooms are really going to change the energy use of the simulation much, though I understand that more Rooms means a longer simulation.

If you really wanted the Zoning to be as you described, is there any reason why you would just not model these adjacent Buildings all as one Building?

1 Like

Yes, I suspected that such a function would be complex (and with many exceptions to make it always reliable) to implement. I just wanted to point out this particular case to you so that you could have decided if it was worthed implementing such a skeleton-solver.

In my case, I agree that I can merge the two buildings into one and solve the problem in such a way.

Thank you for the clarification and the great work on LBT @chris !

1 Like