Problem with energy+ Annual Loads component

Hello everyone

I am trying to get a rough estimate of monthly loads with the energy+ component (HB Annual Loads) from honeybee 1.0

Since this works fine with my rooms before resolving adjacency (with the component: HB Solve Adjacency), the problem is not in the EPW file. However when I run it on my model with adjacency solved (you can see it in the screenshot) it suddenly returns 0 for all months for all outputs.

Since it works with rooms whose adjacency haven’t been resolved and therefore the error must come from the adjacency solving, I have no idea how to deal with this…

I would greatly appreciate any tips or ideas on how to solve this

regards
hamhans

PS: In the screenshot the exterior walls are turned off so that you can see the interior, for the simulation, they are included.
PSII: The component is orange because of this error: “1. No .ddy file was found next to the _epw_file.
Design days were generated from the input _epw_file but this
is not as accurate as design days from DDYs distributed with the EPW.” which also occurs when the component works fine, so this is not the problem.

@hamhans ,

I am not able to recreate the issue on my end. For example, here’s a model with adjacencies that is running fine for me:

annual_loads_with_adj.gh (92.0 KB)

Do you want to upload a sample file that helps me recreate the issue on my end?

1 Like

hi crhis, thanks for your quick response

I can’t upload files since i’m a new user, but under this wetransfer link:
wetransfer link

you can find a gh file where you should be able to reproduce the error

Thanks for your help, it’s greatly appreciated

hamhans

Excellent bug finding and thank you for reporting, @hamhans . I was forgetting to pass the Rhino model tolerance to the Honeybee model that’s created under the hood and this resulted in mis-matching numbers of vertices between adjacent faces.

I just pushed a fix into the official code base:

And here’s your corrected file:
rooms_adjacency_problem_CWM.gh (109.7 KB)

FYI, I also improved the component such that you will see the real EnergyPlus error next time that something in the simulation fails.

2 Likes

Hi Chris

Thank you very much for fixing this so fast. It works perfectly now.

regards
hamhans