Questions on the general calculation procedure of the honeybee microclimate map

Dear community,

I have a question regarding the Honeybee UTCI comfort map.

Let me first introduce the final goal of my research and the approach I have chosen:
I want to calculate the total MRT from LW MRT (longwave_mrt), SW_direct (dir_horiz_rad) and SW_reflected (diff_horiz_rad) using the “Solar MRT from Solar Components”.

I am aiming to do that for an urban canyon with a building facade that is defined using a Radiance .xml-modifier (BSDF material). The calculation of SW_direct and SW_reflected works fine using the HB Point-In-Time Grid-Based recipe.

The question is now about the LW MRT. My idea was to calculate the LW MRT using the HB UTCI Comfort Map component along with the HB read Environmental Matrix component to extract the LW MRT that can then be used in the Solar MRT from Solar Components. But now I think there is no way to use this specific Radiance .xml-material to assign it to the model which is sent to EPlus for the surface temperature calculation. Or is there?

Am I right that EPlus calculates the surface temperatures of the surrounding surfaces using the Solar Radiation Reflected from Exterior Surfaces method which assumes all opaque elements, such as walls, to be diffusively reflecting based on the defined honeybee opaque construction modifier?

Thank you very much for your help and have a relaxing Christmas break!

• Jakob

This is a question for @chris. If you are comfortable with checking the source code, you can start here, and find the command that is used in this particular step.

1 Like