Runtime Error When Trying to Run New Ladybug (1.2.3) \python\Lib\site-packages\ladybug\designday.py

Hi All,

Updating to the newest version of Ladybug, I get this error when trying to run the simulation:

Runtime error (IndexOutOfRangeException): index out of range: 18

Traceback:
line 187, in from_idf, “C:\Users\useg03905\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\ladybug\designday.py”
line 96, in from_ddy_file, “C:\Users\useg03905\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\ladybug\ddy.py”
line 112, in add_from_ddy_996_004, “C:\Users\useg03905\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\honeybee_energy\simulation\sizing.py”
line 146, in script

I am not referencing a DDY file could it be having an issue in generating one from the EPW?

Follow Up Note: It does work if I do reference a DDY file to the sizing options, but I wonder how to get it to run if there is no DDY

Hey @Elliot_Glassman ,

The components are set to automatically pull design day criteria from the .ddy file that is next to the .epw file. That’s the part that’s failing. It looks like this particular .ddy file doesn’t have any rain or snow indicators causing this line to fail:

Would you mind uploading the .ddy file that is next to your .epw file so that I can test on my end and add a fix?

Sure. USA_NY_New.York-LaGuardia.AP.725030_TMY3.ddy (5.0 KB)

On a side note, I discovered the new Ladybug EPWtoDDY component as I familiarize myself with the new LB/HB tools and update our script templates and that seemed to work as well.

I don’t think that’s the correct file, @Elliot_Glassman , as it clearly has the Rain indicator:

So I’m not able to recreate the issue on my end. Maybe try deleting the folder with the EPW file and re-downloading it.

It think that the Ladybug component overwrote the old DDY, but I had another copy of the original in a different folder. USA_NY_New.York-LaGuardia.AP.725030_TMY3.ddy (17.0 KB)

The simulation runs with the new DDY created from the Ladybug component

There we go! That .ddy file does the trick.

However, this .ddy file is ANCIENT! Where did you get it from? It must be from at least 10 years ago at some point back when the IDF schema for design days was totally different.

You’ll find that the LaGuardia .ddy that you get from the DoE database or OneBuilding right now is following the modern IDF schema. But I think this format is just too old for us to support with the current Ladybug Tools libraries and plugins.