sDA calculation for multiple zones

Hi guys

I’m working on a daylight script for sDA calculations. In Denmark, we always document the sDA on a room level. However, the HB Spatial Daylight Autonomy component only calculates the sDA for the whole project.

In the example above I have 14 zones, adding up to 951 sensor points. I am not a grasshopper pro, but my guess is that I need split the list of my 951 DA results into separate lists corresponding to the amount of sensor points in each zone. As seen in the note pad, the LB Generate Point Grid component already divides the grids into separate zones, but I don’t know how to extract that information in a way that would work for various building projects.

So I have the idea, but I can’t figure out how to do it. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

If needs be, I have attached my script.

01_DaylightAutonomi_Pollination.gh (224.4 KB)

Best regards,
Mark

With a little help, I solved the issue. In case others run into the same problem, here is the cluster I will be using from here on to calculate sDA for each zone.

Hope that it will serve useful to someone.
This might be a useful feature to integrate into the HB Spatial Daylight Autonomy component :slight_smile:

/Mark

2 Likes

Hi @MarkLabrosse ,

Your cluster is one way to solve it but there’s a much more elegant way. What you said here is only the case if you have a single sensor grid for your entire project, which isn’t really recommended for annual-daylight simulation:

As long as you structure your model with one sensor grid per room, you’ll get an sDA for each room like you expect:

FYI, if you generate your sensor grids using the HB Sensor Grid from Rooms component (as you see above), then you will always have a separate sensor grid for each room, making your postprocessing and sDA calculation much easier.

1 Like

Hi Chris

That sounds interesting. However, in our case we always base our daylight simulations on revit models made by the architects. As these models always include correct wall thicknesses etc, we never use HB rooms. Instead, we create our models based on faces as seen below. To my knowledge, it isn’t possible to make rooms in this case, right?

Is there another way to make separate sensor grids without using the HB Sensor Grid from Rooms component?

Hi @MarkLabrosse ,

Your screenshot shows you adding several grids to your model there (one for each of the surfaces you plug in for _geometry of the “LB Generate Point Grid”). So, as long as you have one surface per room, you’ll be computing sDA for each room. No need for the “HB Sensor Grid from Rooms” component.