* Severe * DetermineShadowingCombinations: There are 3 surfaces which are casting surfaces and are non-convex

Hello,
We have a hard time trying to simulate HB model to OSM. the error is: 1. * Severe * DetermineShadowingCombinations: There are 3 surfaces which are casting surfaces and are non-convex.

Before that error, we got an error regarding an unclosed surface. After that, we modeled the geometries in Rhino as closed solid extrusions.

Thank you for the help.

This thread was solved privately (i think and hope).
Solar Distribution using the HB_ShadowCalc component was set to 0 and the simulation works now … for me.
-A.

Hi @AbrahamYezioro,
I’m also encountering the same issue in my project, and may I ask where exactly the Solar Distribution should be connected to, in order to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi again,
I have just found the place to plug in from a post from @devang
but some errors occured again.

Do you have any idea how this could be solved?

Hard to say without the file, but i would check the settings of the setpoints for heating and cooling. Probably there are high/low numbers that make difficult for the simulation to converge on it’s first stages.
-A.

Hi I’ve attached the file here.
Please let me know if you have any idea on how to solve the issue.
One more problem I encountered is that the heating and cooling loads are extremely high, I’m not sure if it’s related to the surface error in OSM.

Thanks in advance for your help!

HB energy 3.gh (670.1 KB)

Tried to test the file.
Unfortunately not all geometry is internalized (windows). Also part of the room are recognized as open breps. Normally they should be closed.
-A.

Hi @AbrahamYezioro

Sorry for the mistake, I’ve internalised windows for the file down below.

Also for the breps, I saw all of them as closed, which one did you see as open?

HB energy 3 editted.gh (688.6 KB)

Hi @AbrahamYezioro
I’ve editted the model and added a few more components.
Now it seems the breps are all correct, but the result still showed the same problem as before.

• Severe * DetermineShadowingCombinations: There are 3 surfaces which are casting surfaces and are non-convex.

I hope the file isnt too messy, but in any case I think you could just look for the brep components and the results, as the same error appeared before me adding the extra components so I guess they’re not the factors causing the error.

Thank you in advance!
HB energy 3.gh (881.5 KB)

There are still Invalid Breps right after the intersect_solids:

They can be excluded from the simulation but i suppose you want to have them in the model. As a matter of fact they are included, but as you’ll see below, they produce severe errors on simulation.

Validating your model shows that it is invalid:

I recommend assuring the vertices of the model, on the first floor, willl fit between the various geometries. Zooming in i could see that there are small gaps.

The Shadowing combination can be “solved” using a lower resolution solar distribution setting. Not ideal but your concave geometry is the cause of that:

The simulation runs but gives severe errors, that i recommend to address, probably fixing the geometry errors.

Good luck,
-A.

Thanks so much for the check and help @AbrahamYezioro !
I’ll try to model again and hopefully solve the issue.