Shadow range study error

Hi,

I downloaded the ‘Shadow_range_study’ example script from Hydra. This script came with some example rhino geometry. When I run the honeybee/ radiance component, I am supposed to get an HDR image.

Unfortunately, when I run the script, I am getting an error '1. Solution exception: Failed to read the results!".

Can anyone please help troubleshoot this.

Thanks,

Hi Ibby,

Check the version of Ladybug and Honeybee in that file. probably you need to update components (USE Honeybee_Update Honeybee components and Ladybug…). Because every version of LB+HB will work with the same version of components that currently installed on your system.

After the update, You need to reinsert new HB Run Daylight Simulation component and reconnect the component inputs.

OMD

Hi Omar,

Thanks for getting back. Unfortunately that did not fix the problem. I was already on honeybee latest version 0.0.61. But I did run the update and swapped the daylight simulation component.

However I have a copy of that same Shadow study example file from version 0.0.51 (this sample file is from before they uploaded samples to hydra). This file works fine and I am able to see the HDR image (although I don’t like the quality).

Any ideas why the old sample file works but not the new one? I have not made any change to either file, I just downloaded it and hit run.

Thanks,

Can you zip and share the folder for the study?

Hi Mostapha,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I did some testing on my side. This computer has the accelerad version of radiance. The honeybee script from version 0.0.51 works fine but the version 0.0.61 does not work. The ‘honeybee run daylight simulation’ component throws an error after running the simulation ‘failed to read the results’.

Thanks,

Shadow study 0.0.61 vs 0.0.51.zip (1.07 MB)

Hi Ibby,

‘failed to read the results’. is a generic error message and is not really helpful to understand why is it happening. Thank you for sharing the GH files but I won’t be able to re-create the errors from the gh file. Can you share the “study folder” which is created by honeybee? There should be and error.log file inside the folder.

Mostapha

Please find attached.

Thanks,

error.log (449 Bytes)

Hi Ibby,

Based on the report everything has been completed successfully. Can you the .hdr files inside the folder?

rpict: 844000 rays, 100.00% after 0.0006 hours
rpict: ray tracing time: 1507 milliseconds (1 seconds).
Geometry build time: 120 milliseconds for 1475 objects.
OptiX kernel time: 340 milliseconds (0 seconds).
rpict: 844000 rays, 100.00% after 0.0003 hours
rpict: ray tracing time: 1692 milliseconds (1 seconds).
Geometry build time: 126 milliseconds for 1475 objects.
OptiX kernel time: 308 milliseconds (1 seconds).
rpict: ray tracing time: 1800 milliseconds (2 seconds).
Geometry build time: 121 milliseconds for 1475 objects.
OptiX kernel time: 396 milliseconds (1 seconds).
rpict: ray tracing time: 1774 milliseconds (2 seconds).

Hi Mostapha,

I opened the imageBasedSimulation folder. I saw 5 hdr files. I was able to open 4 of them (0,1,2,3) without any issues. The composite one does not open and I get an error (see the attached screen capture).

I think the problem is during compositing the four sub images into the whole image.

Is it possible to circumvent this split into four and re-compositing exercise? I like the old scheme where we did not have this. Can I change the script to do that? I don’t mind opening the folder and running the script from there.

Thanks,

Hi Ibby, Now at least we know why don’t you get the results. Set numOfCpus to 1 to avoid the split and merge. You have currently set it to 4.