Come join SmithGroup’s exciting PACT (Performance Analytics & Climate-Impact Team)!
SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 19 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces. We are deeply committed to our promise to Design a Better Future - for our clients, communities and employees. Are you ready to help us get there?
The San Francisco office of SmithGroup is looking for a Building Performance Analyst to join our team.
Working with us, you will:
- In collaboration with other Sustainable Design leaders within SmithGroup, develop performance models (energy, daylighting, thermal comfort, airflow, carbon) at a variety of scales (urban, district, building, building system) in support of SmithGroup PACT (Performance, Analytics, and Climate-Impact Team)
- Personally provide modeling expertise and technical parametric analysis in support of project design teams.
- Personally provide modeling concepts and reports to clients and other external parties during qualification interviews, project team meetings and community/agency reviews.
- Collaborate with our in-house group of professionals that specialize in performance modeling.
- Develop tools, processes, and standards to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of performance modeling.
- Research, validate, and implement performance modeling software programs and tools.
- Create staff training/development programs to increase the knowledge of project teams in the application of performance modeling methods.
An ideal candidate has:
- Ability to model building and system designs accurately to guide sustainability and energy reduction strategies.
- Ability to creatively participate in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative team setting and to clearly communicate technically complex ideas to design team members and clients.
- Experience in preparing energy modeling reports per ASHRAE 90.1 and California Title24 and as required for LEED and the Living Building Challenge prerequisites/credits.
- Experience in energy modeling software including IES Virtual Environment and EnergyPlus. In addition, experience with Cove Tool, Open Studio, Climate Studio, Ladybug Tools, and Pollination is highly desirable.
- Experience in CFD modeling and simulation (SimScale, Butterfly, Autodesk CFD, etc) for building spaces as well as air flow around buildings is desirable.
- Experience in REVIT, SketchUp, Rhino, and Grasshopper; with a special emphasis on exporting and importing geometry and data between software for parametric workflows.
SmithGroup offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also promote a healthy work/life balance for our staff which includes an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays), as well as hybrid work options that give our team the flexibility to work within our vibrant office culture or remotely, as needed.