Solution exception:Attempted to divide by zero error

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to solve this? I can see there are more than one unsolved threads on it, but does anyone have an update on how to get around it?

thanks!

Hi @markbrit ,

It looks like you managed to create geometry that has an invalid zero-area mesh face. Iā€™d say that this is a bug on the LBT end and we should be catching geometries like this.

Can you upload a file that contains your geometry so that we can recreate the issue on our end?

Once I have that, I can implement a fix that ensures that the whole process doesnā€™t halt because of an invalid geometry like this.

I just merged a fix that I think should probably solve this issue:

You can get it on your end with the LB Versioner in an hour or so and Iā€™ll test it if you upload your geometry.

Thanks for the quick reply!
File here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oON3kFIcnaOHhdC8XzGbqTUqZ6HhqN8j/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

I donā€™t have a powerful enough laptop to test that geometry, @markbrit (the file maxed out my memory). But Iā€™m 99.9% sure that the change that I merged fixed the issue. If youā€™re able to run the LB Versioner, restart Rhino, and then test your file, that would be a big help.

Hi Chris,

Have updated and rerun, errors still there but are different obviously now.
I have tried the same geometry as entirely a mesh input into the script and get this error now.

The entirely brep model also throws an error.

Perhaps I just have a piece of geometry that isnā€™t compatible, although it is fairly simple in form?

thanks!

Hi @markbrit ,

That error is pretty clearly because you have connected a Null up to the _geometry. Maybe use the native Grasshopper Clean Tree component to get rid of the Nulls.

Hi @markbrit @chris
I have the same error. Have you solved it?

Your problem looks different, @tsau . I donā€™t know what your analysis period HOYs are there but maybe you are accidentally filtering out all hours from your sky matrix. Try disconnecting it.
That also seems like a really coarse grid size for a model in meters.

Thank you, @chris. I tried and got the same result
ERROR.gh (38.0 KB)

Hi @tsau ,

I donā€™t have any issue running your file on my machine:

This leads me to believe there are only a couple of possible explanations. Can you let us know the following:

1. What is the version of Radiance that you see coming out of the HB Check Versions component?

2. Are you on Mac or Windows operating system?

Hi @chris,
you are right! I installed the version you show and all works
That was my version.

It looks like I have to update openstudio and E+ too. Isn`t it?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Thanks for checking that @tsau . The plugin is still supposed to work with that version of Radiance so Iā€™ll try to recreate it and see if I can fix the issue when I get the chance.

1 Like

Thanks, again, for checking this, @tsau . You can see that I pushed a change that will give a clearer error message for this case going forward:

1 Like