Solution exception:Attempted to divide by zero error

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to solve this? I can see there are more than one unsolved threads on it, but does anyone have an update on how to get around it?

thanks!

Hi @markbrit ,

It looks like you managed to create geometry that has an invalid zero-area mesh face. I’d say that this is a bug on the LBT end and we should be catching geometries like this.

Can you upload a file that contains your geometry so that we can recreate the issue on our end?

Once I have that, I can implement a fix that ensures that the whole process doesn’t halt because of an invalid geometry like this.

I just merged a fix that I think should probably solve this issue:

You can get it on your end with the LB Versioner in an hour or so and I’ll test it if you upload your geometry.

Thanks for the quick reply!
File here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oON3kFIcnaOHhdC8XzGbqTUqZ6HhqN8j/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

I don’t have a powerful enough laptop to test that geometry, @markbrit (the file maxed out my memory). But I’m 99.9% sure that the change that I merged fixed the issue. If you’re able to run the LB Versioner, restart Rhino, and then test your file, that would be a big help.

Hi Chris,

Have updated and rerun, errors still there but are different obviously now.
I have tried the same geometry as entirely a mesh input into the script and get this error now.

The entirely brep model also throws an error.

Perhaps I just have a piece of geometry that isn’t compatible, although it is fairly simple in form?

thanks!

Hi @markbrit ,

That error is pretty clearly because you have connected a Null up to the _geometry. Maybe use the native Grasshopper Clean Tree component to get rid of the Nulls.

Hi @markbrit @chris
I have the same error. Have you solved it?

Your problem looks different, @tsau . I don’t know what your analysis period HOYs are there but maybe you are accidentally filtering out all hours from your sky matrix. Try disconnecting it.
That also seems like a really coarse grid size for a model in meters.

Thank you, @chris. I tried and got the same result
ERROR.gh (38.0 KB)

Hi @tsau ,

I don’t have any issue running your file on my machine:

This leads me to believe there are only a couple of possible explanations. Can you let us know the following:

1. What is the version of Radiance that you see coming out of the HB Check Versions component?

2. Are you on Mac or Windows operating system?

Hi @chris,
you are right! I installed the version you show and all works
That was my version.

It looks like I have to update openstudio and E+ too. Isn`t it?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Thanks for checking that @tsau . The plugin is still supposed to work with that version of Radiance so I’ll try to recreate it and see if I can fix the issue when I get the chance.

1 Like

Thanks, again, for checking this, @tsau . You can see that I pushed a change that will give a clearer error message for this case going forward:

1 Like