[solved] is there a quick way to add a window to a surface of a zone without exploding the building mass geometry?

It seems that if you want to add an arbitrary window surface to a wall surface, you need to explode the building mass geometry and attach the window to a given wall surface, and assemble all individual surfaces (wall, roof, floor, wall with glazing) as a HB zone.

Is there a efficient way to add a window/glazing surface to a surface in a building mass or an existing HB zone?

adding windows in OpenStudio seems way more efficient …

Thanks!

Hi Grasshope,

This is a very good point. In general you are right and you can add glazing only to surfaces and not zones [which can get fixed by modifying the component. I think it totally makes sense to be able to add all the glazing to the zone at the same time]

At the same time, as far as you draw openings correctly on top of the surfaces (no gap between the opening surface and the wall/roof, and same normal direction), and know how to manage data in Grasshopper, you can do it all at once. check this example where I add a number of windows to two different zones. Honeybee_addHBGlazing component does the matching process inside.

addMultipleGlazingToZones.gh (438 KB)

1 Like

As i said a while ago: Knowledge is power!!

Good one Mostapha :slight_smile:

-A.

Thanks Abraham! :slight_smile:

I just made it one level easier. Now you can add multiple random glazing to zones all at once. Thanks Grasshope for bringing this up.

addMultipleGlazingToZones_II.gh (436 KB)

1 Like

[Trying again! Grasshopper didn’t publish it for some reason]

Thanks Abraham! :slight_smile: I just made it one level easier. Now you can add multiple random glazing to zones all at once. Thanks Grasshope for bringing this up.

addMultipleGlazingToZones_II.gh (436 KB)

Hi Mostapha,

I am having trouble with this new wonderful tool that allows adding a group of windows to various zones. Everything seems to go well until I run the E+ simulation and it abort calculation because a lot of severe errors with the window geometry and zones recognition, so I guess the problem occur when adding multiple child surfaces.

I tried changing individual windows for WWR and works well. That until I update the components of the file. Now is giving an error too.

Please, it will be very appreciated if anybody can give me a hand with this.

Find detailed explanations to the GH model; I tried to make it as clear as possible.

Although the geometry was internalised, I add the rhino model, just to see if you can give me an extra clue about how adding internal child surfaces with this new method (adding multiples child surfaces), since Chris’s method is not applicable in this example.

Kind Regards

Javier

07_RhinoModel.3dm (526 KB)
07_RunWithErrors.gh (701 KB)

Javier,

Your file almost worked well for me. The main problem was with the materials that weren’t found in the file itself. I used some ASHRAE’s and then the simulation ran OK. You should look at the report of the HB_runEnergySimulation. Very useful info is printed there, specially when you have problems in the IDF definition.

I’m not sure if your materials/constructions are in your personal library, but (a word of wisdom) check twice you are using construction definitions for the geometry and not material definition. I have a feeling you are, from what i saw in the report i mentioned before.

After that your file needed a “serious” update, specially with the comfort mapping components. Your components were pretty much out of date.

I think is working fine now (of course, without checking the quality of the results).

-A.

Forgot to update one more component.

-A.

07_RunWithErrors_AY.gh (785 KB)

Hi Abraham,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I opened your file and everything seems ok when using ASHRAE’s materials. But when I try using my own materials E+ generates severe errors until it crush.

I realise there was a mistake in the materials settings, since I was using air gaps from glass into opaque constructions (wall and roofs). Now is fixed

Thanks for your support, everything is going well now.

Kind regards,

Javier

Hello mostapha,
Thank you for your sharing of this .gh file cause it seems also helpful to my problem.

And when I try to download this file, there is an erro says: Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

Could you please share this file to me also if possible?
Thank you so much!

Some files from the older discussions have failed to be uploaded to discourse successfully but you can download them from the original post:

1 Like

Hi mostapha,
Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

Best wishes to you.