Specularity index in honeybee plus

Hello friends
A simple question !!
In the metal materials component in Honeybee Plus, why is it written in the specularity index section, a value higher than 0.1 is not realistic ??? So what was the need for this feature to continue to 1 !!! This seems illogical. The range of this feature could be the same as the real range.
In fact, what is the interpretation of a simulation that is done with a hypothetical value of 0.8 !!
Thank you for your explanation.

@Aliarch

I think that’s a typo, and was probably meant to refer to plastics specifically. Intuitively, metal or mirror materials should have much higher specular reflection fractions.

Regarding input ranges: I think constraining inputs based on what is “realistic” would contradict the usefuleness, flexibliity and interpretability of using a physics-based simulator. It makes much more sense to constrain inputs based on what is physically possible (i.e specular reflections shouldn’t be higher then 1 since that breaks the law of conservation), which, for the most part, is what HB, EnergyPlus and Radiance do.

1 Like

thanks @SaeranVasanthakumar for your reply
I agree with you. Why should the values be outside the real calculations in physics !!! Certainly such a defined range misleads many people, especially novices. i wish we could know @mostapha opinion in this regard.

@Aliarch, glad that we agree the physics-bases constraints are the best. However I think you misread my post, I was saying that this is already how Honeybee determines the allowable minimum and maximum values for inputs. So there’s nothing to change!

1 Like