Strange model meshing behaviour - LBT geo to Rhino in VizByType

Hi @chris,

I’m getting a slightly funky mesh preview of my LBT geometry.
DodgyPreviewMesh.gh (146.3 KB)

The model seems to work fine when exporting from HB to IES

So I assume it’s just a meshing error when going from LB geometry to a Rhino mesh in the code below, and won’t impact any energy or daylight analysis?

walls = from_face3ds_to_colored_mesh(_walls, palette[0])

I hope sharing the example is useful! If it doesn’t impact analysis it’s not an issue, just a slight annoyance when taking nice screenshots of analysis geometry.

Best,
Charlie

Thanks for the sample, @charlie.brooker , and I’ll have a look.

If I had to guess, I think that your windows are probably going all of the way to the edge of the parent Wall Face, which messes with the preview and we technically label as invalid for a honeybee Model but I know that EnergyPlus is still relatively ok with this. I imagine that IES is probably also relatively ok with it.

Hey @charlie.brooker ,

I have tried a few different units systems and tolerances but I can’t seem to get your script to run:

What units and tolerance are you using? Alternatively, if you can share a Pollination Rhino file with the Model, that would help me diagnose things faster than I could otherwise.

Thanks @chris - I’m still looking at the model now, I was helping a colleague build the model and I thought we’d been diligent in avoiding the glazing touching the bottom edge (intended to offset by 0.01 or 0.001m), but as I’ve been reviewing it it definitely seems to touch in places.

I’m now playing around trying to offset the glazing surface curve inwards to reduce the area and see if that fixes the issue, but now I’m getting some unassigned windows, which makes me doubt that they’re properly coplanar and think the modelling must be a little off.

I think ignore this for now - it’s not as robust an example as I first thought.

For reference these are the units I was using, I typically model with this level of tolerance to match the tolerance level in IES GEM files.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

1 Like

Hey @charlie.brooker ,

It sounds like a lot of this may be coming doing to tolerance issues. That is a really fine tolerance level that you are using there and I didn’t realize that IES-VE had such a low native tolerance since I can’t imagine that details that small would be impactful for energy simulation. For reference, the native tolerance of EnergyPlus is 0.01 meters or 1 cm.

In any event, the really fine tolerance might at least explain why you get non-coplanar warnings. And FYI, the PO_ValidateModel command will always show you the Aperture geometries that extend past the parent Wall Face so this may be helpful for debugging/cleaning the model in the future.

1 Like