Strange wall geometry Honeybee

Hello,

I’ve encountered some unusual wall geometries even tough the window geometries looks correct. I’ve set the file in meters with a tolerance of 0.01, checked if the windows were coplanar with the zone, and offset the windows form the zones borders.

I’m unsure if this is a bug or if I’ve made a mistake that I can’t identify. I’ve attached the Grasshopper definition here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

strange aperture.gh (283.7 KB)

tolerance

Hi @tru, it looks like you may have missed internalizing the apertures in the grasshopper script.


best
-trevor

Hi @TrevorFedyna

You’re absolutely correct. My apologies for the oversight.
Here’s the updated version of the previous file.

strange aperture.gh (382.0 KB)

Hi @tru, thanks for uploading another file.
the model validates and seems to have no issue when put into openstudio, there appears to be no issue

also baking the model with the pollination rhino tool and it shows no issue in the geometry as well
image

I think that what you are experiencing might be a visual bug in how the model is being displayed, because everything else is looking good, but I could be wrong
-trevor

Hi @TrevorFedyna

Thank you very much for the feedback.
I’m glad to hear that it’s working for you.

Initially, I thought it might be a visual glitch, but I’m puzzled as to why I’m encountering the same unusual geometry even when I bake it from another laptop.

Have you attempted to bake the geometry from Rhino Grasshopper as well?

@tru

Yes I’ve seen this before as well. It appears to happen most commonly when I have apertures that are touching one another (mulled windows), or apertures that are touching the edge of a face.

The simple fix I use most often is to just scale all the aperture geometry by 0.999 - this will make it so they are not ‘touching’ one another, but does not affect their size so much that it affects the simulation results. Its a hack to be sure, but it usually seems to work ok.

Of course, you could also manually re-size each window by 1mm or something to gap them, that would also work in most cases.

best of luck with it
@edpmay

2 Likes

Hi @edpmay

Thank you so much for the suggestion, it finally worked for me too.
The problem was that there were some apertures touching each other.

Thanks to both of you for your assistance.

2 Likes