Surface Shading Device Is On Time Fraction

Hi guys!

I’m currently working on a project, where I’m looking into the benefits to both energy use and thermal environment caused by various shading devices using Honeybee. According to the InputOutputReference document provided by BigLatterSoftware, it should be possible to get an output called “Surface Shading Device Is On Time Fraction”, yet I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Essentially, I would like to get access to two things

1. A list of booleans/integers illustrating the state of the shading device (on or off) for each timestep (here hours) over the entire analysis period
  2. Fraction of which the device is active

The latter could easily be calculated manually, if I could get access to the list.

I’ve been searching the forum for similar discussions, but I only found the following discussion, which was never answered

Additional Strings and 3DChart issues - old forum - Ladybug Tools | Forum

To me, it seems quite unlikely that any consultant would design a system without knowing when it’s working, so I guess that I have simply missed a function in Honeybee.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,
Mark

The discussion you pointed above has the solution for your question. At least to the one asking for the "Surface Shading Device Is On Time Fraction” output.
Basically you add this output as an additional string to the simulation and you get it through the EPCustomResult component.
I updated the file to the last Legacy version. The file is not clean but i marked with red fences the relevant parts.
Hope it helps.
-A.
06_dRadiationAnalysis_Octogon_CheckHourlyRadOnSurface45282.gh (1.1 MB)

Ahh perfect, that solved both my questions actually. Thank you.

For some reason, I wasn’t able to access the .gh file on your earlier thread, so I was only able to read the text, but this one working.

-Mark