Trying to add windows in a different orientation while maintaining the louver that's already established in another orientation

hello @chris, I hope you are well

I want to add a regular window to a building model where a louver has been installed on the south side, but when I use the Aperturebyratio module, the louver disappears. What can I do/use to correct this? I really appreciate any help you can provide.

TA_Pokki_Bestest900_ThermalComfort_updated_02.gh (703.6 KB)

Hi

you can resolve the probleme in 4 steps:

• deconstruct the first hb object with south glazing + louvers

• convert the louvers by connecting the shades to the component “hb quick visualize”

• create a shade object with the breps from previous step

• create all the apertures for the hb room and connect both rooms and shades to hb model.

The FacParam component is your friend here (it has been discussed previously).
It allows you to define different parameters per orientation, like so:

LouversPerOrientation.gh (44.7 KB)
-A.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the help!

Hello again, is there any way for me to edit/change the materials of the louver? If so what component should I use? Thank you again for the help!

Hello again, is there any way for me to edit/change the materials of the louver? If so what component should I use? Thanks for the help!

In the image above you can see that the HB_LouverShade component has ep_construction input or rad_mod. There you can set you material (for energy or daylight simulations).
-A.

I’m aware of that, but I want to input the conductivity properties of the louver materials and I can’t do that with HB Shade Construction. Is there any way for me to input the conductivity properties of the louver? Thanks again for the help!

Pay attention to the hint of the HB_ShadeConstr component:

Note that Shade objects in EnergyPlus do not have layers and are only defined by their exterior reflectance.

You can look for further explanations on the E+ Input Output Reference Guide
-A.

1 Like

Is there any way I can put the conductivity properties to the louver without using the HB Shade Construction?

With the Shades/Louvers no.
Maybe you want to explore the Blinds/Shade option instead that allows to define their conductivity, like so:

-A.