Unable to run energy simulation due to: (degenerate surfaces), and (not possible to calculate the volume from the surrounding surfaces)

Hello, I am trying to run an energy simulation on my structure, which later can be used to generate comfort analysis. But the following warning shows up:

1. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:* Severe ** GetSurfaceData: There are 3 degenerate surfaces; Degenerate surfaces are those with number of sides <
  2. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:* Severe ** For zone: ZONE_3 it is not possible to calculate the volume from the surrounding surfaces so either provide the volume value or define all the surfaces to fully enclose the zone.

My original model has curved surfaces, since HB does not accept curved geometry, I had to construct, based on my original geometry, a closed Brep with multiple planar surfaces to run the HB analysis. (the Brep is a closed Brep)
It’s possible that the warning from HB is due to the new Brep I created based on my original curved geometry, but I couldn’t find out the root of the problem.

I am a new member to the forum, so I could not upload the file onto the forum.
any help will be greatly appreciated!!

If you are dealing with a complex geometry try to simplify your model. The error is because in the meshing process a surface with very small area is generated and Honeybee has generated a surface with 2 vertices (basically a line). That is why your simulation is failing.

1 Like

Hi, What happens if i ignored this error? will it make a big difference in the simulation result values, e.g., heating/cooling load?
Thanks

Errors are to be addressed and not to be ignored.
There is no answer for your question.
-A.

then … what is the solution to simulate an adaptive facade!!

I just wanted to say that this type of error should no longer exist in the latest version of the LBT plugin. We put a number of things in place to ensure that it’s addressed once and for all.