Unclear about HB louvre shades component 'depth' and shade count

I would like to know-

1. what’s the difference between depth and facade offset? Which ‘depth’ will extrude the louvres towards where? Isn’t it what facade offset is/ should be?
  2. If I don’t know the window size (using % ratio/ parameters) and input ‘distance between’, will it overwrite the shade count? Or vice versa?
  3. If it’s a setup as the image, is the shade count 10 each or a total of 10?

Depth is the actual depth of the shading element. Say 12 inches.

Offset is moving the shade away from the window x # of units. Say 6 inches.

Both work perpendicular to the surface, so the result would be a 12 inch shade sitting 6 inches away from the glazing surface.

Shade count is per window.

Trial and error is a great way to learn these tools, at least that’s how I stumbled through learning them. :grin:

The best thing about these tools is that there’s many different ways to accomplish things and everyone can have a creative take on it.

1 Like

Thank you @jakechevrier :slight_smile: that’s great help. Usually I go by reading these or trying too, but this component doesn’t indicate on it’s whole function. Thanks!

Hi again @jakechevrier - as you suggested I experimented with the different inputs in the component too to see its impact on the cooling load/ energy, but it didn’t change anything- of course disconnecting and re- connecting it to check.
2.gh (181.0 KB)
Do you/ someone know why that might be?
Ps- I tried to make the assumptions extreme too, but no change.

The geometry wasn’t there to reference…

First note: If you want to share GH definitions without the rhino 3dm files, you can use “internalize data” on the geometry components to “save” a static reference of the geometry into the GH definition. This disconnects that geometry component from the rhino geometry, but saves a snapshot of it into the definition…

I was able to see what i think may be the issue is the components are out of order… You’re trying to add shades before creating the actual apertures… Apertures should be added to a room, then shading is added to the apertures… If you reorganize the definition how i have shown it, you should have more luck…

Also note: that I recommend QA/QC’n the model before running it, and a good way to do that is using the HB visualize by type component (as i have circled). I often use this component, turn off its preview, and connect a data component to the various output surfaces so i can see one or more categories at a time.

I’m guessing if you visualize this model, there will be no shades, therefore no impact.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks for your inputs and noted.
I had reordered the definition when I realised things aren’t changing and have this one now for adjusting shades to minimize glare and it works. But- when I make the louver/ shade angle 90 (which should make it opaque) then the glare doesn’t become 0 or reduce. I preview it while changing and it had to be very high parameters (depth 0.1-0.2m, shade count 100 etc) then it shows like the image (dark and overlapping louvers)-

but they aren’t realistic I suppose? If they cover the window at 90 angle and overlap, it should be 0 right?
sDA + ASE_LBT_Forum.gh (193.0 KB)