Urban energy simulation

Dear members,
I always used honeybee for energy simulation of single block buildings.

Now I am going to calculate energy consumption for a district.
I am wondering if using honeybee is the right thingg.

1- I make the zones in all of the buildings in the neighborhood.
2- I solve the adjacencies. ( note: there are different blocks in the district attached and detached)
3- I define related properties and make the algorithm…
4- I run the energy plus engine. (one run for all district)

I am wondering if this is the right way of calculation on the Honeybee for multiple blocks at the same time?

also, this way shadowing of buildings on each other will be considered? (i connect all of the blocks as HB context to energy plus component)

1 Like

Hi @az.sanei,
Between point 1 and 2 there should be the intersect sollids component.
And try to minimalise the amount of zones.

1 Like

You should look at the URBANopt options implemented (or about to) in dragonfly. Check the from_building_solids.gh sample file provided in the installation package.
-A.

2 Likes

Thank you.
Do you know if URBANOPT consider shadowing in the study or not?

Sure (i guess). Just pay attention that you need to define the context as shading. The example i mentioned shows this clearly. In other words, if you don’t define the context shadowing win’t be considered.
-A.

1 Like

FYI, with dragonfly, there are also built-in workflows to export each building as a separate honeybee Model with surrounding buildings within a certain distance included in each honeybee model as context shade. This last part of this video shows what each of the Honeybee models looks like:

1 Like

Thank you Chris, I simplified a model using dragon fly sample file, lets consider that the goal of this sample simulation is : calculating cooling and heating loads considering shading factor. (Shading of buildings on each other)
I defined two Breps (representing two buildings)

And I have few questions:

1- for shading effect of buildings on each other, is it something that should be define by user or it will be defined automatically ?
I mean in Model Component ( DF Model) should I import all buildings as context or it’s not needed.

2- to consider the cooling and heating “demand” I want to make sure that adjusted COP and HVAC IDeal are defined. which component do you suggest to add in for this end?

3- as I understood at the end the results are for each building, is there any way that we can name the buildings and get the results for each one? or the results will be based on the turns define with brep component only?

I opened a new topic for this (Dragon fly urban scale shading and demand clarification)

from_building_solids_simplified.gh|attachment](upload://hNp9nvrnXTgC9wpPOkURcwARbnf.gh) (73.9 KB)

1 Like