Urbanopt:1. Solution exception:Failed to write .check_uo_version.bat to file: 'ascii' codec can't encode character '\u5434' in position 23: ordinal not in range(128)

When I run urbanopt, there is a problem. It may be because my username is in Chinese, can I solve the problem without changing my username?

Hi @cong_boy ,

Yes, this is a know limitation of URBANopt in that it cannot handle file paths with non-ASCII characters. I have communicated the issue to the team at NREL and hopefully they will address it at some point.

In the meantime, creating another user profile with a different username will definitely address it but, if you don’t want to do this, you should be able to get around the limitation by writing the GeoJSON to a _folder_ that only has ASCII characters in the file path:

Let me know if you encounter any issues with using the workaround.

Thank you for your timely reply. I tried to change the file path of geojson and epw, but the problem still hasn’t been solved.

Thanks @cong_boy ,

I had forgotten that URBANopt CLI writes a file under your username and there’s no way that I know of to change it. I think, until NREL adds full support for non-ASCII file paths, the only solution will be to create another user profile on your machine that has only ASCII characters in it.

I should also ask what exactly are you planning to use URBANopt for? If it’s just to run EnergyPlus simulations in parallel, there are ways of doing this without needing URBANopt. I think this sample file shows an alternative pathway for running OpenStudio simulations in parallel without needing URBANopt.

Thanks, I’m planning to use Urbanopt to calculate building loads at the city level. May I ask if you have any suggestions?

See above for my suggestion if creating a new user profile is not an option for you: