URBANOpt running incredibly slow

Hi everyone, I’m running a .gh file (only contain one building) using DF Run UrbanOpt component, it seems to start running and generate the following command prompt:

But after that it just stops there and never finishes, and I check the CPU running status, it also seems that it is not calculating. The file ran really fast yesterday, but today it kind of stuck :smiling_face_with_tear:

Does anyone know is this normal? What is the general running time for such a file? Or is there anything wrong with my .gh file?
Wuhan_residential_single.gh (135.3 KB)

Hi @Rowena,

I took a look at your GH file and ran the UrbanOpt simulation.

Your DF model is valid (see attached screenshot - the “DFValidateModel” tool is nice for this) and the simulation ran fine on my computer, in 18.5 minutes.

As for normal run times, for large simulations with many buildings I average 8-9 minutes per building when using 6 timesteps per hour, and around 5-6 minutes when using 4 timesteps per hour. I have multipliers turned to “true”, so I am only simulating 3 floors per building (top, bottom, and middle x multiplier) whereas you are simulating all of the floors in your 10-story building. So the 18.5-minute run time here makes sense to me.

As for why your simulation got stuck, I’m not sure. Were you connected to the internet when you last ran the simulation and got stuck? I believe UO was downloading dependencies when you note it got stuck. Also how long did you wait at this stage? It usually takes me 5 minutes (sometimes more, perhaps 10 mins) at this step before starting the model simulation.

Other than that, the top comments about problems with UrbanOpt on the forum seem to be about region/language settings causing problems or UrbanOpt installation problems. So perhaps try specifying a simple folder name in the “ToGeoJSON tool” (e.g. C:\simulations) and then worst case you might try reinstalling UrbanOpt and related tools according to the compatibility matrix: 1.4 Compatibility Matrix · ladybug-tools/lbt-grasshopper Wiki · GitHub

I hope that helps,
-Anthony

1 Like

Hi @anthony, thank you for your kind reply! Yes I’ve read about several top topics concerning UrbanOpt running problems, and they are all very helpful.

I got one question…May I ask will the computed results be any different with multipliers turning to true and false?

This gh file takes me about 12 minutes to simulate, so according to you I guess this duration makes sense. And for the stuck problem, I figured out that it is indeed downloading dependencies everytime it runs, so I just need to wait patiently. Anyway, thank you very much for your information! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Rowena,

Whether multipliers set to true/false will significantly affect your energy results depends on the urban context. I’m dealing with mostly 4-6 story buildings in a dense area (i.e. lots of shading from nearby buildings) so the multipliers don’t have a large impact on my results.

I’m not an expert but if you were simulating taller buildings and/or with less shading context, I believe there could be a more significant difference. The multiplied floor always seems to be the one directly above the ground floor - which is easily shaded by nearby buildings - so I imagine upper floors with no shading could have more solar gain.

Best way to figure it out for your situation might be to include the shading context in your model, turn multipliers on/off in separate simulations, and then compare the results.

Best,
Anthony

1 Like