Void (Puncture) in Geometry

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to run a daylight simulation. Now the zone I am trying to model has a few openings on the periphery. These openings in the wall are not going to be closed with glass(windows). They are going to remain as cut-outs (punctures) in the wall.

Is it ok to use AIRWALL as surface type for those openings in Honeybee_createHBSrfs component?

Thanks,

Devang

I ran a sample. Results are attached. Seems to work fine. However, I would really appreciate comments if using AIRWALL for punctures is not a good assumption please.

Thanks,

Devang

Airwall is intended for EnergyPlus simulations and not for Radiance. Assuming you assigned such a material to any input of radianceMaterial, i’m surprised you didn’t get an error.

Why don’t you just leave the holes on the wall clean (no geometry there)? In case you need to have the opening geometry, define your own material as completely transparent (RGB transmittance = 1)?

-A.

Hi Abraham,

I just tried running it without any geometry for openings. It works.

This is a sample I ran. My original geometry is a bit complex than this one. I tried the same thing with the original geometry, not keeping the openings without any geometry. However, Honeybee_Run Daylight Simulation component threw me an error saying “It has to be a closed BREP.” Therefore, I tried AIRWALL. I like your second suggestion too. That’s a good one.

Thanks a lot,

Devang

If I’m not mistaken there is an internal check no to export airwalls to Daylight model. You can set it to False on runDaylight component if you want them to be exported.

Of course!!! This can be the best to do!

-A.