Web tool to share information

I wonder if somebody knows of a web based platform to exchange information in very early area and building optimization stages? I am thinking of building mass models, grid results, facade options and some simple data analysis?

/Max

Have you tried Design Explorer? It is maybe not exactly what you are looking for but close

DesignExplorer is great for parameter studies but I am looking for a tool where I can present different design cases for one or more buildings together with CAD in 3D, different metrics and if possible calculation grid result from Rhino. It would be great if it could deal with versions, options and custom system boundaries.

/Max

Not sure about any paid options but if you’re feeling adventurous you could try playing with Speckle (the open sourced version of Flux). If you reach some sort of success please come back here to let us know how it went! :smiley:

2 Likes

+1 for this part of the post…

That would be an interesting use case.

I have not heard of Speckle but I will try it out. Thanks a lot!

Yeah, it’s very interesting. I tried Speckle (the Rhino/Revit components) at work recently, using it to bring some facade geometry we had in Revit (via dynamo) into Grasshopper for Honeybee analysis. It was a little buggy, but once we got it working it did the job. In the end I had to abandon this workflow, for other reasons, but it’s promising. If they could work out some of their bugs when it sets up its server I’d be down to using it more often.

Honestly though, the main thing about it that appeals to me is that it’s open-source, which means I can hack, and integrate it’s code with my own workflows if I need to. I can put up with bugs, as long as you give me a method to fix or bypass it myself.

1 Like

Speckle was not what I hoped for but I am thinking of using three.js. Still it needs a lot of work developing GUI and a data structure so if there was an easier way, that would be nice.

Shame about Speckle, if you’re happy sharing work you have done it’d be great to see what you end up building. I know a few bigger consultancies are building such tools but keeping them to themselves which is a shame for the wider community.

I don’t know if you have looked at Iris at all? It will still need you to develop a GUI for some of the things that you want to do but at least the basic file export is taken care of.

1 Like

Thanks, I will look into Iris. Since I would like to do some post processing on the web I probably just need the geomery as simple as possible (obj?) with attached data (energy, daylight, areas). Other participants will use different formats, I guess DWG, 3DS, SKP or IFC.
/Max

I have used ShapeDiver on several occasions. It might be something for you to look into :slight_smile:

Maybee Mapbox ?
https://decodingspaces-toolbox.org/working-with-and-exporting-geospatial-data/

Now this looks interesting. I wonder how to implement grid data visualization.

I have started to look into ShapeDiver as well. It looks kind of interesting.

Here’s what the GeoJson file format looks like: https://leafletjs.com/examples/geojson/. You can play with it and test it here at small scale before using it in an application: http://geojson.io/#map=2/20.0/0.0. Bare in mind that GeoJson does not support 3D.

New idea, I have found a rather new tool called Dash that hopefully will work. I am not sure how to deal with 3D geometry, maby raw data (obj) will work.