What is the best workflow to import geometries to Honeybee from Revit?

Hi. I was wondering what would you suggest if I have the building elements (building walls, windows, floors, ceilings, and roof) from Revit and I want to create a brep in Rhino to run energy analysis using Honeybee. Thank you very much

Hi @Aban,

You could have a look at Rhino inside Revit. (rhino 7 WIP)
I haven’t tried it yet but it looks promissing.

https://www.rhino3d.com/inside/revit/beta/guides/revit-spatial

1 Like

Hi @Erikbeeren,
Thank you very much for your reply. I am using Rhino inside Revit to take the building elements from Revit to Rhino. It is a very nice development and you can have your geometry in Rhino pretty quickly. I must say I’m enjoying it a lot! But the question is how to create a brep from the building elements to run lighting and energy analysis with Honeybee components. Or maybe I do not need the brep and there would be another method to run performance analysis in Grasshopper without having a brep?

There’s no direct way. You’ve hit one of the pain points as far as the revit geometry is concerned. Your best bet will be to get the best you can from revit to rhino and start creating closed breps using what you imported.

1 Like

Hi @Aban, perhaps the following will get you closer.
I’m not a Revit user so I can’t really tell what’s going on there : )

-wim

1 Like

Hi @aban,

The best way should be to use the Revit spaces as shown in de example @wim attached. In the past, I tried this workflow via dynamo. The problem was that the spaces generated by Revit contained a lot of failures. A connection of three walls with different widths resulted in an in-between empty space that was considered outdoor. (not really practical). Moreover, the geometry of an energy model has to be very precise. So probably what @devang is saying is correct. If the Revit Spaces are not usable you could try to use the floor boundaries, make surfaces out of them, then take the core lines of the inner walls and split the floor surface with these lines. (see image below)