What is the difference between taking the result SQL from HB model to OSM versus the other OSM,IDF,OSW to E+ simulation?

Hi,

I was curious what the difference is between using the standard HB model to OSM simulation, then taking the SQL to find the energy balance or EUI.

Versus putting that component through one of the OSM, IDF, or OSW to E+ simulation components. And reading the results from there.

I’ve read that OS adds functionality such as fully detailed HVAC and energy use.
Would this make it pointless to take an OSM to E+?

Thanks

Hi @TomCrook ,

There is no difference in the result whether you run the simulation with the Model To OSM component or you use any of the other 3 components that you listed there.

The other 3 components exist primarily because some people like to edit the OSM or IDF manually before they simulate (eg. sometimes they need a specific EnergyPlus feature that’s not exposed in Honeybee). Or maybe the OSM or IDF originated from some software other than Honeybee (eg. OpenStudio Sketchup plugin or DesignBuilder). Lastly, those 3 components are particularly helpful if you want to simulate several IDFs/OSMs/OSWs in parallel (that’s why they all have a cpu_count option). For example, I sometimes use the “Model To OSM” component to parametrically write a bunch of OSWs and I’ll record the file paths to all of the OSWs using a native Grasshopper “Record” component. Then I’ll use the “Run OSW” component to simulate all of those OSWs in parallel.

Hope that helps.

1 Like