Where are Legacy HVAC components in LBT1.6

Hi.

I am trying to systematically walk through the energy model workflow by watching the video on Ladybug Academy.
Now I’m looking at [#4 Energy Modeling: Heating and Cooling Systems with Honeybee (Legacy Plugins Only)]. Though the lecture material was for Legacy version, it’s still very helpful.

I notice that some components are not existed anymore. For example [Honeybee_HVAC Cooling Details] and [Honeybee_HVAC Air Details], and I could not find the similar ones in HB-E section.

Here come my questions:

1. My guessing is that their function is now substituted by components in Ironbug. Is it correct?

2. If the learning material on LBT Academy is a bit dated, is there some learning materials that can go through energy model with LBT systematically?

3. The embarrassment behind my problem is that though I can build and run energy models, sometimes I am not confident explaining the input and result of my model, especially when it comes to HVAC systems. Are there any suggestions on learning Building Energy Systems and Energy Model?

Thanks in advance,
Best,
lavo

Hi @ljwssdsw ,

To quickly answer your questions:

Sorta but not really. You can certainly build very detailed HVAC systems with Ironbug but using Ironbug is quite advanced and I wouldn’t recommend it as a starting point unless you’ve used OpenStudio heavily before. The equivalent of the Legacy HVAC components are the LBT 1.6 components under the 4 :: HVAC tab. After working with them, you’ll see that you can do practically everything that the Legacy components did except now you have even more options to customize HVAC equipment.

Yes, there are some updated tutorial videos on the Ladybug Tools YouTube channel:

The tutorial videos above are a great place to start. Having a real project where you could start applying the knowledge you gain from the videos will also help. But energy models have a lot of inputs and it will take some time to get a handle on all of them. Just give yourself plenty of time the first few projects that you apply it on.

1 Like

Thank you, Chris! The reply is so helpful. I will dig in the YouTube videos.