Wind rose from Recorded Data

Hi everyone,
I’m trying to produce the wind rose diagram from the weather file from one of our weather data in Taiwan.
The result is confusing me because the prevailing wind direction is very different from ladybug and Ecotect.

The prevailing wind from Ecotect shows that is mostly South wind in summer, But from ladybug the wind is mainly from the North. Why is that?

Any suggestions?

Hi @endison8

Form what you provided, it is hard to tell.
That’d be great if you could attach the epw file that you used for others to recreate this issue.

Hello,
(https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10pxk7o3akKn-dMFTdGV0Q-oiiBMs2jY7?usp=sharing)
The epw is on the drive, I was thinking is it because of the file is not TMY3 weather file?
The weather is the whole year of 2017 data, and it was originally .wea file which I converted into .epw using Ecotect. Would it effect the result?
Cause I used the online epw viewer and it can’t draw a wind rose diagram.
Thank you very much.

@endison8
The epw file you shared has all wind directions from 0-255, which makes me think this is not converted correctly from wea.
if you have originally recorded data, you can just import wind speed and wind direction directly to Grasshopper, and then use LB to visualize it.

Or you can use standard epw data from Taoyuan or Taipei.
http://climate.onebuilding.org/WMO_Region_2_Asia/TWN_Taiwan/index.html

Hope this helps,
Mingbo

Sorry I know it’s been a long time:
“if you have originally recorded data, you can just import wind speed and wind direction directly to Grasshopper, and then use LB to visualize it.”
I’m sorry I’m quite new to the ladybug, how am I suppose to import the recorded data to grasshopper?

You can use ReadFile to load CSV file. image

Hello,
Does the csv file has to have full 8765 data? And do I use separate csv file for each wind direction and wind speed?

It said I had to provide valid list for it,

Please use Ladybug_Create header component to create a inputs for windspeed and winddirection. This component will simply help you format your data in the way Ladybug understands.

Hi,

I’ve tried but it said I have to import annual data which I checked it is 8765 data though…

Can you please share your file?

Here is the fileWind_ImportRawData.rar (518.4 KB)

Thank you very much

Hi guys,
any suggestions?
I realized the picture I uploaded said the unit is millimeters but even though I changed the unit still show the same error though…

You need 8760 values in a list. However, in the lists you are trying to use there are no values at the following indices. Please fix that and it should work

Hi,
Thank you for the suggestion, actually I did realised the issue and fixed the data, there is no error showing the whole year wind rose after fixing the data.
However, one of the reason that still cause the error was that I kept the time period from Sep to Dec.

Am I able still use the analysis period component for different season? If not, how can I create different season wind rose?
annual%20windspeed%20error2
Here is the corrected data:
Wind_ImportRawData.rar (511.9 KB)

I see. Even after fixing the data the component is not accepting the list as a valid list. I am looking into this.

hi,@endison8 The component you used is old version.Please update ladybug to Version 0.0.67.

Hi, @minggangyin
I’ve updated the component but still get the error though…

Hi guys, any possible solutions for plotting different season wind rose?

hi, did yuoo solve the issue ?
i am facing the same issue to visualize the data from excell as wind rose i have 8760 value but it dosen not accept my list as valid data