Window Shade generator. Different schedules for different windows

Hi,
I’m trying to figure it out but so far no success.
The thing is that the schedule applied to a window’s blind triggers the shade for the whole blind. I’m trying to see how to deal with more “real” situations where people are not opening/closing the shade fully.
I managed to define the window as many parts/sections:

Now i want to set a schedule for each of the sections.
As i said, i didn’t find a way to do that.
Any ideas? Is it possible?

Thanks,
-A.

p.s. I can generalize the question like “it is possible to define different schedules for different blinds on the same wall”?

Hi,
Since i’m still in the dark with this issue, i want to explain the logic behind the question (though it seems to be quite obvious). I’m trying to implement kind of “human behaviour” into the blind use. Say, people open/close them but not always fully. Will say that almost never fully. I want to define situations where the blind is 40% open/close (for example). Since the schedule option doesn’t allow it, i’m trying now to divide the big window into smaller ones, and then assign independent schedules for each of them. In this way i can achieve the situation i described.
Thanks,
-A.

1 Like

@AbrahamYezioro ,

I am sorry for the late response and I am also sorry to say that we did a pretty terrible job in supporting this type of workflow given the way we set up honeybee-legacy. It is possible to do what you are suggesting and this hydra example file shows you essentially how to do it. However, you will also see that you need 4 different base surfaces , 4 different glazing surfaces, and 4 different shading components in order to model your situation here.

I can tell you that the underlying structure of honeybee[+] is already better geared towards accommodating this situation. I still have yet to implement dynamic window constructions over there but, once I do, workflows like this should be possible with a single component or a few lines of Python that make use of our API.

Thanks @chris!!
I see the process now … and hope for a quick for a fast HB[+] … :slight_smile:
In any case i think is doable.
One question more: each window will keep it’s schedule of each time i add a new one with a different schedule, it will override the previous one?
I know that i can check but until i get there, maybe you have the answer before hand.

Thanks again,
-A.

Want to update regarding my previous question. Bottom line the IDF registers correctly the schedules for each window. Those are excelent news for me since i can now develop what i wanted.

Though, when i ask the HB_LabelSurfaces/ShadingScheduleName, the preview shows for the first window both names.

Thanks,
-A.

@AbrahamYezioro ,
Glad that it’s working. Another way to get everything to display (and run) correctly is to separate the parent opaque surface that is hosting each window into 4. I realize this is extra work that you shouldn’t have to do, though, and you won’t have to in HB[+].

Hi @chris,
For now i’ll stay where i am … :slight_smile:
What bothers me is having twice, three or four times the original amount of windows.

Thanks,
-A.