Workflow with ArchiCAD - Finally made it. Kind of

Ow! Actually, I thought about it! Making curtain walls is a pleasure and I used it so many times! With doors and windows its a little bit harder, and thats one thing I hope will be made better in newer version… But I found a way, sooo why not. I’ll try to do such tutorials as soon as possible. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Avik,

How is it going with the workflow with ArchiCAD? There is now the new version where you can export BREP. Did you manage to get something out of it?

Best,

Frank

Hi Avik,
Wih Archicad u can export ur model in XML.
First u use Zone Tool to define ur zones and then u can run Ecodesigner.
One more important think, don’t afect a schudule to ur Thermal blocs.
I try it and I teach it to in our School in Marseille France, but there some problems to do it correctly. For example u can’t export overhings.

Best

Aziz BOUKARA

Hi @Frank_Gergaud,
To be honest - no. Lately I had to focus on projects outside Grasshopper (sadly) but as soon as there is a chance - I’ll give it a shot. :wink: Have you tried it?

and hi @Aziz.BOUKARA !
I know about XML. And I tried very hard to get it working after minggangyin told me about it. I wasn’t happy with it though. I found it quite complicated to prepare the whole model and even after doing everything as detailed as I could, the exported model was incomplete, there were holes, some walls missing and not all informations I needed did exported. There is quite a big chance that I did something wrong but after many evenings spent on trying to prepare XML file I found my way a little bit more intuitive and easier to debug (if needed). If you could share your way of exporting clean XML from ArchiCAD that would be great!

To be honest I also changed a few things compared to the tutorial a posted quite a while ago. For example the script is no longer in use. When I find a moment I’ll try to make a complete tutorial with my “updated” way to - for example - calculate radiation on facade or something similar. Just to show how to combine simple analysis with ArchiCAD. :slight_smile:

Salut Avik
I will be very happy to share this experience with you and other people … I contacted ABVENT France to make me in touch with Abvent nemetschek. I am waiting for their answer.
I also got the export but with small problems (some elements are messing, like overhang …) .
If you want, I ll be happy that we can find a solution to move Archicad to OpenStudio and to Honeybee. I’m waiting for your suggestions.
Merci

Hi Avik and Aziz,

I think so far the best way to deal between Grasshopper and ArchiCAD is with the Grasshopper-ArchiCAD live connection. It’s still need to be improved but importing elements from ArchiCAD is much better now. I’ve tried the new released with ArchiCAD 22 and now, importing BREP objects, work just fine. Except that the windows can’t be imported very well, only possible to import the whole window without separating the window glass to the window frame. I hope that in a near future this function will be added. I also try this XML format but didn’t succeed either. That’s fine with Revit but with ArchiCAD is not really easy.

Best,

Frank

Hi,

did you still use ArchiCAD 22? When you define zones in ArchiCAD they are excluding stairs, etc. Did you know any solution for that?

Can you discribe how to get perfectly fitting window surfaces in Grasshopper from your ArchiCAD windows?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Hi,

Yes I worked with ArchiCAD 22.

The zones in ArchiCAD can be defined manually and you can include the stair if you want.

You can import the window from ArchiCAD into Grasshopper. Then you can extract the BREP and done you have your window. In some cases if the window is not a standard window you might have problem with the frame.

Hope it help :slight_smile:

Best

Hello Guys,
I am Akos Karoczkai from the GRAPHISOFT HQ in Budapest and I’ll try to answer your questions regarding the workflows and collaboration between ARCHICAD-Grasshopper and LB-HB.

First let me show you an additional functionality with the Grasshopper Live connection that Frank just mentioned. Now you can extract the BREP geometry of any ARCHICAD element, eg zones as well. (see picture 1)

But you can do more than just referencing the zone geometry, you can select sub-surfaces (eg. sides, top, bottom, etc.). This can help you to set up the model easier for LB+HB analysis. (See picture 2)

You can deconstruct walls to their external surfaces so that you get the “facade geometry”. Unfortunately right now it is not possible to deconstruct openings (windows/doors) to frame and glazed area separately so you have to work with either ratios or rebuild the window surface from the entire window/door brep geometry.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I’ll try and answer them.

3 Likes

Hi Akaroczkai,
Can you put an example please ?
I’m working on the export of Gbxml on Archicad but i found some problems like exporting overhang.
thanks a lot.
Merci beaucoup.

Hello Aziz,
I’ll try to look into that and get back to you.

Akos

Oh Merci beaucoup. I ll really aprreciate.

Aziz

Hi everyone! I’m really sorry for not replying lately - life can become busy at some time… But please - take a look at my new post! It might be interesting for you. :slight_smile:

Congratulation Avik…
Félicitation

Aziz

Hi @Akaroczkai, thanks for sharing some of the new features.That looks great.

I have a question regarding the wall deconstruction: So far, I could split the external walls and get their external surfaces with the component, but that extraction is based on their reference line and how it was originally drew in Archicad. I wonder if there’s a way to extract the different surfaces of a wall based on their materials (e.g pick the internal surfaces of the external walls).

Thanks in advance!

Hello Thiago,
Currently the selection of AC elements is manual (meaning we don’t have a node like the Pipeline reference node).
If you want to select the inernal surfaces of external walls you have to reference only these walls from AC but you can use the “Find&Select” functionality in AC to find the external ones.

Akos

Hi @Akaroczkai,

Thanks for the reply and info. I guess I’ll have to do that either manually or script it in Grasshopper for now.

Unfortunately for the time being, yes.

Hi Frank!

Regarding how to handle windows from AC to GH, I found that if you fit your zone to the outside face of the wall, you can mark all windows, set the 3D detail level of the windows to ‘schematic’ and then set the ‘reveal’ to 0, or choose the ‘no reveal - edge’. Now the windows will show without any frame and they will be aligned to the walls. It’s very much a workaround, and it obviously messes with your window settings… but it does work :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can also do like this. Setting the 3D details lvl of the windows to schematic should still be done to avoid the window frames, but you don’t need to change the reveal settings (which can get messy)
If anyone know of a better way to seperate the srf from the open brep at the end, please let me know, cause this only works with a simple file. I didn’t succeed to make it work in a complicated file.