Block Mesh not running

Hi,
i’m trying to run a cfd simulation from the 01_0_Outdoor_airflow from the butterfly example files. I am following the tutorial from @mostapha . Block mesh is giving me some errors.

"
Updating cell size in blockMeshDict.
Updating grading in blockMeshDict.
Saved changes to blockMeshDict to:
C:\Users\fjmtgeneral\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\system\blockMeshDict
Runtime error (Win32Exception): WindowsError

Traceback:
line 232, in run, “C:\Users\fjmtgeneral\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager_bluecfd.py”
line 756, in command, “C:\Users\fjmtgeneral\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py”
line 788, in blockMesh, “C:\Users\fjmtgeneral\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py”
line 52, in script
"

I installed Bluecfd 2017-2 and it has been running as an admin.

Any ideas how to solve this issue? there is also a grad xyz at the beginning of the script that is not connected to anything on its output.

Thanks!

Hi,@nach According to my experience, you should run Rhino 6 as admin also.

1 Like

yes, i have been running rhino 6 as admin as well

can it be because i’m running windows on bootcamp?

Also, in the butterfly 0.005 folder there are 2 installers. one in the main folder and another one in the example files. should i use both?

Thanks

Hi @TheodorosGalanos, @mostapha, any idea on how can i solve this issue. I forgot to mention that i’m running windows 10 through bootcamp.

Thanks!

Hello, I have exactly the same problem with the same errors! I’m using windows 10 pro.

1 Like

Hi @nach, I’m having your same issue. Have you manage to fix it? Would you please help me in case? Thanks!

Hi I believe this is related to this issue here: https://github.com/ladybug-tools/butterfly/issues/382

Can you maybe try and see if that change fixes your error?

Best,
Theodore.

1 Like

Hi @TheodorosGalanos, I’m grateful for your reply.
I’ve chcked the issue you suggest me and I confirm that’s the point. Sadly it still doesn’t work, but I have a question; Thomas Wortmann (Tomalwo) say:
"
Changing line 45 in runmanager_bluecfd.py to the below solves the problem for me:

self._project_folder = os.path.join(os.path.expanduser('~'), 'butterfly', self._project_name)
"
but in my runmanager_bluecfd.py file I find as follow (from #line41 to #line49):

assert os.name == ‘nt’, “Currently RunManager is only supported on Windows.”
self._blue_folder = butterfly.config[‘of_folder’]
self._env = bcfdenv(self._blue_folder)
self._project_name = project_name
self._project_folder = r’c:\Users{}\butterfly{}’.format(
os.getenv(‘USERNAME’), self._project_name)
self.log_folder = ‘./log’
self.errFolder = ‘./log’
self._process = None

I’ve never written any Python script before, but it seems to me that #line45 and #line46 are strictly related and I am wondering which line I do really need to replace.

Hope not to bother you too much,
Lorenzo

This would be the text I’m guessing (it’s actually the same line). Still not sure why it doesn’t work like this but you can at least try changing that to what is suggested and see if it helps.

Best,
Theodore.

1 Like

Thanks again but still doesn’t work, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
I found a topic related to this where @thomas.wortmann has answered by himself, so I hope to have a piece of advice directly from him.

However, I’m very grateful for your quick help.

Best,
Lorenzo

I struggled with this as well, however it is from a result of not following the installation instructions 100% precisely.

Some things I got wrong : Must use

• Rhino 6, Service Pack 25+
  • blueCFD-Core 2017-2