Butterfly and Galapagos Optimization

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to run an optimization for an Origami structure in Butterfly, in order to maximize wind speed beneath it. As Mostapha Roudsari said here, it is necessary to set interval -1 in the Butterfly_Solution component to visualize only the last value, during the simulation.

With this setting, the optimization through Galapagos seems to start in a good way, but after some iterations it stops due to this error on blockMesh component:

Runtime error (ArgumentException): Environment variable name or value is too long.
Traceback:
line 420, in setitem, “C:\Program Files\Rhinoceros 5 (64-bit)\Plug-ins\IronPython\Lib\os.py”
line 80, in getShellinit, “C:\Users\mmel\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager.py”
line 69, in containerId, “C:\Users\mmel\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager.py”
line 260, in _RunManager__command, “C:\Users\mmel\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager.py”
line 316, in run, “C:\Users\mmel\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager.py”
line 716, in command, “C:\Users\mmel\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py”
line 748, in blockMesh, “C:\Users\mmel\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py”
line 112, in getContainerId, “C:\Users\mmel\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager.py”
line 215, in command, “C:\Users\mmel\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager.py”
line 47, in script

Anyone know how to fix it?

Thank you

Hi Federico,

This is a bug and this is why it is happening: I add the path to programs files and docker to os.environ every time that the analysis is ran without checking if it already exist and in your case after a couple of 100 times it end up being too long. I can fix it quickly today or tomorrow and then you can update it on your machine.

Mostapha

It should be fixed now. You need to:

1. Updated butterfly installation using the attached file. The last updated date should be 2017-05-11 09:44:00

2. Restart Rhino and Grasshopper. Closing or unloading Grasshopper won’t reload the libraries.

3. Open your file and try again.

update_butterfly.gh (4.63 KB)

Hi Mostapha,

it seems ok, I am running the optimization with the updated version and the results seems good.

Thanks a lot!

hi FedericoCucchi,sorry to jump out like this
how did you optimization run? i want to ask you a little question,i want to optimization the wind speed in a room,but i can’t get the Specific value of one point,did you have this problem ?what target parameter have you used to do the optimization

Hi WuXue, Did you try using the probes component? You can create a probe for a single point if that’s what you’re looking for.

i tried to create a single point and run the simulation, what i got was a vector with “U”, and the wind pressure of the point with “p”, is the length of the vector representative of wind speed of that point?

Yes it is. You can use the native Gh component to translate the vector to scalar velocity.

Kind regards,
Theodore.

1 Like

thank you so much, that helps a lot~

I tried to run an optimization in Butterfly,and i have this problem too. But i can’t open the update of butterfly.gh you provided above.could you please sent it again? there is another error that after some iterations,the simulate stops at time=17,which the result do not convergence.

Time = 17

smoothSolver: Solving for Ux, Initial residual = 2.931025e-16, Final residual = 2.931025e-16, No Iterations 0
smoothSolver: Solving for Uy, Initial residual = 2.165529e-13, Final residual = 2.165529e-13, No Iterations 0
smoothSolver: Solving for Uz, Initial residual = 1.66223e-16, Final residual = 1.66223e-16, No Iterations 0
smoothSolver: Solving for T, Initial residual = 0.03995674, Final residual = 0.001261831, No Iterations 2
42. #0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so”
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so”
#2 ? in “/lib64/libc.so.6”
#3 double Foam::sumProd(Foam::UList const&, Foam::UList const&) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so”
#4 Foam::PCG::solve(Foam::Field&, Foam::Field const&, unsigned char) const in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so”
#5 Foam::fvMatrix::solveSegregated(Foam::dictionary const&) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so”
#6 Foam::fvMatrix::solve(Foam::dictionary const&) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/buoyantBoussinesqSimpleFoam”
#7 Foam::fvMatrix::solve() in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/buoyantBoussinesqSimpleFoam”
#8 ? in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/buoyantBoussinesqSimpleFoam”
#9 __libc_start_main in “/lib64/libc.so.6”
#10 ? in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/buoyantBoussinesqSimpleFoam”
43. ***
#0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so”
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so”
#2 ? in “/lib64/libc.so.6”
#3 double Foam::sumProd(Foam::UList const&, Foam::UList const&) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so”
#4 Foam::PCG::solve(Foam::Field&, Foam::Field const&, unsigned char) const in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so”
#5 Foam::fvMatrix::solveSegregated(Foam::dictionary const&) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so”
#6 Foam::fvMatrix::solve(Foam::dictionary const&) in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/buoyantBoussinesqSimpleFoam”
#7 Foam::fvMatrix::solve() in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/buoyantBoussinesqSimpleFoam”
#8 ? in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/buoyantBoussinesqSimpleFoam”
#9 __libc_start_main in “/lib64/libc.so.6”
#10 ? in “/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v1612+/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/buoyantBoussinesqSimpleFoam”

when i do the simulation for one time,everything look good.i don’t know why it goes wrong in the optimazation.

Hello. I just failed to download the attached file. It shows that the page doesn’t exist or is private.

Hello. Could you please share the file named update_butterfly.gh? I encounter the same probelem now but I can’t download the attached file. Thank you!